cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections account from 2013 but I do not know who the orginal creditor is.

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
New Visitor

Collections account from 2013 but I do not know who the orginal creditor is.

I have a collections account from 2013 on my report but under the orginal creditor it says " 01 hmk " .

I do not know what company that is and I am afraid that if I call and ask or dispute it, that'll it'll start the clock again.

Any advice ?

I appreciate it.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collections account from 2013 but I do not know who the orginal creditor is.

Part of the debt validation process under FDCPA 809 is the right of a consumer to request the name of the original creditor.

A debt collector is not required to include the name of the original creditor in their dunning notice if it is no longer owned by that original creditor.  They are only required to provide the name of the current owner.

However, a DV request must be sent within 30 days of the debt collector's dunning notice in order to be timely.

If more than 30 days has expired since they sent dunning notice, they can ignore a DV request.

YOu can still send a DV or make an informal call requesting that information.

It will not "reset" the clock on either the statute of limitations or the credit report exclusion period.

Simply do not acknowledge the debt, and limit your call to requesting that info.

AS a side note, a medical providor cannot provide a name to the CRAs that includes any specific information that would disclose the type of medical services provided, such as "American Oncology Services."   Thus, a cryptic or otherwise truncated name is often that of a medical providor........

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.