cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections accounts not listed on credit report

steves86ta

Collections accounts not listed on credit report

Hi there

Im in the process of fixing my credit and as such im paying off old collections accounts and settling them as i go

Ive noticed a difference in my credit score and am currently working towards more resolutions

Ive noticed since ive been paying them off, ive been getting calls from other collectors that are NOT listed on my credit report

they all claim the same thing " they are with a legal office, and have legal authorization proceedings with their office. At this point there is a pending services summons involved and they are willing to settle the offer before they serve me at either my place of residence or employment"

This latest one is with United Financial Solutions. With a phone number of 833-755-8387

now, i am unable to find anything with this company or phone number. Leads me to think its a scam

My question here is two-fold

1. do you feel this is a scam

2. Since they are not listed on any of my 3 credit reports, should i address the concern? 

Im almost feeling like ignoring them and continuing with the other accounts i have and keep going as i am. If they arent listed then how do i know they are valid?

thank you for any insight

Starting Score: 545
Current Score:559
Goal Score:680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: Collections accounts not listed on credit report

Please tell me you haven't revealed or confirmed any information about yourself on the phone. Do they want you to give them the payment over the phone? Or do they insist you send payment via Western Union? Do you recognize the original creditor? Are they even mentioning who the original creditor is or are they saying they can't reveal the creditor due to client-attorney privilege? Ask them to send you a dunning notice to your current address reported on your CR and you will deal with them then. Better yet if you think it is a scam tell them to serve you at your current address on your CR. Serve you at your employer? Really? And if worked at Mc Donalds which would be on your CR if you were employed there when you last applied for credit, which Mc Donalds do they intend to serve you at?

This sounds like a scam to me. 

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.

Message 2 of 8
Medic981
Valued Contributor

I just called anonymously *67 833-755-8387 and the phone rang for almost a minute until I got a recording which gave some 4 digit number and stated to dial 0 to speak with an operator. All I heard for 5 minutes is a beep beep repeating about every ten seconds until I finally hung up. 

If this was a legit CA I think they would be eager to answer calls and speak with a debtor who has seen the error of their ways and was willing to repent and pay. 

I am hard pressed to believe this is a legit CA as it smells of scam all over it.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.

Message 3 of 8
blindambition
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

I agree with Medic981. A legit CA would go through proper recourse. Showing creditor, date, amount. Scam calls about debt are on rise on West Coast where I am.
Message 4 of 8
steves86ta

Thank you everyone

This happened last month too, around the same time, 09/06 to be exact

I actually paid that one, because it was a valid debt that i did default on but was never reporting on my Credit report

I have not talked nor answered this one. this was all from the voicemail they left

I have also not received anything in the mail from them. It is a chance that it is a legitimate debt, and i do legitimately owe it. But i guess what im worried about is paying it, and it being a scam then the real debt/collector comes after me.

I feel like if its not on my credit report then im not going to pay it moving forward. if they want it resolved they can validate the debt and put it on my credit report, is this a bad stance to take?

Also in my mind, if they do sue me and i end up in court im sure the case can be made that im trying to resolve these debts and being there was no prior communication nor reporting to my credit report how am i supposed to know its valid or not?

Starting Score: 545
Current Score:559
Goal Score:680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
FireMedic1
Super Contributor

I get at least 5-10 scam calls a month. Soon as i see any number I dont know I google it and there many sites with people complaining about zombie debt collectors and scams. Now they can use your area code to try to fool you its a local call. Probably from Nigeria or other country.

Example from website:

They keep calling from this number and says they will serve me at work and home.  united financial his name mr.Lenisky from phone number  833-755-8387  this person needs to be stopped
  • Caller: UNITED FINANCIAL

I block the number and it reports to Verizon and it never repeats again. Until they try another number.

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The primary issue is whether the party is calling as a debt collector or whether they are calling only with respect to legal representation of the creditor, and advising as to their intent to file a civil action.

Under the FDCPA, an attorney is not a debt collector unless their primary business is the collection of debts.

If they are acting primarily as legal counsel, such as advising of intent to sue, then they may not be subject to the FDCPA based on the definition of a debt collector set forth in FDCPA 803(6).  If they are not a debt collector,then they cannot report a collection to the CRAs.

I would take the call for two reasons.

First, if they identify themselves as a debt collector, then they answer the question posed in the prior paragraph, thus subjecting themselves to all of the requirments of the FDCPA. 

Second, if they do disclose that they are calling as a debt collector, that makes their call an "initial communication with the consumer" under FDCPA 809(a), which then triggers their requiremnt to send formal dunning notice within 5 days thereafter.

You can then simply terminate the call without any further discussion, and await dunning notce.

If they dont send dunning notice, that is a violation of the FDCPA, which could indicate a scam.  It also provides basis for seeking damages against them for violation of the dunning notice requirement, and for filing a formal complaint with the CFPB.

Message 7 of 8
kbourgoise
New Visitor

Be warned, I think they are changing their name. I just recieved 2 calls from a restricted number one yesterday stating that they are serving me papers and if I need to reschedule to call (833) 755-8384. I googled the number and it came back as unsafe on line so I ignored it. Then the restricted number called again asking if I called the number and I told the lady that I did not because the number come back as a bad numbe and the company she listed as the server I could not find. I asked for the company name again and she told me GMS (yesterday it was GML). She then proceeded to tell me she is going to serve the papers at 2pm today and she doesn't know anything about the number or the company she is just paid to serve the papers. The funny thing is I don't owe anyone any money, ect. so this is a scam but I wanted to let people know that the name has changed. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.