Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections and secured credit card timeline

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections and secured credit card timeline

Long story short, me and my husband‘s credit is terrible. I’ve been lurking on this site for the last six months, and I’ve had enough. Here are the collection details for my husband.

Phoenix financial: $168
Verizon wireless(Jefferson Capital systems) : $1345 (Willing to settle for $688)
Online information services: $609 (payment arrangement made)
online information services : $490 (payment arrangement made)
Capital one charge off: 235.00 (payment arrangement every two weeks)
NCB management service : $1144 (haven’t settled yet, haven’t called them yet)
Enhanced recovery collection: $1406 (sprint) haven’t settled, haven’t called yet)

Big one. bridge crest repossession: $7900 (Settled at 4K.) 😩😪

Good things: santander car: Never late (have car, 1 year)
Student loans Never late, current)

I guess my question is how do we attack this? Should we just continue on and pay them off, projected to be done with paying this off by the end of April. We are building credit to eventually be able to apply and get approved for a mortgage.

At what point do we apply for secured credit cards? We have both been Pre approved for discovers secured credit card. should we clean up all the collections and then apply for a secured credit card?
Husband middle score is 488. 😪

I’ll post my details in a second post, my husband is just a little bit worse than mine.
2 REPLIES 2
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Collections and secured credit card timeline

I am not sure if there is any time line to apply for secured card. Sooner you apply the sooner they will start reporting. It will probably take 12-18 months for effect start showing on the scores. You mentioned he is pre-approved for Discover secured card. I would apply for it and get it. OpenSky is another secured card you can easily get with out hard inq on the credit report. They approve every one. Start with OpenSky and Discover secured card and it start reporting.

Message 2 of 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collections and secured credit card timeline

Now for the secureds unless you already have open revolving accounts. You need 3 revolvers to help drive Fico score in a rebuild, two open is a good start

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.