Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections disputed with EQ removed from TU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections disputed with EQ removed from TU

I’m so confused. I disputed several collection accounts that were double posting with 2 different collection agencies. These were showing on both EQ and TU. I was having issues logging in to file a dispute with TU so I just did EQ for the time being. Well on credit karma it shows the accounts for EQ as being in dispute. But the same accounts were removed from TU per my dispute. If the dispute was filed through EQ why were they removed from TU report and not EQ?
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collections disputed with EQ removed from TU

The debt collector received a copy of the dispute from EQ.

They are thus required to investigate and respond back to EQ, and EQ is then requried to complete their reinvestigation of the dispute of the acccuracy of the reported collections in their files.

However, nothing precludes the debt collector from choosing to voluntarily delete the disputed information from other CRAs that are not involved in the dispute.  Deletion with other CRAs is not per se evidence that the debt collection has determined the information to be inaccurate or unverifiable, it is only evidence that they chose to voluntarily delete their voluntary reporting to that other CRA.

It is not uncommon for a dispute that is filed with one CRA to result in furnisher update or cancellation of their reporting with other CRAs.

EQ is still required to complete their reinvestigation no later than 30 days from the date of your dispute, an send you its formal Notice of Results of Reinvestigation within 5 business days thereafter.

That will then provide you their determination of whether the debt collector verified or whether the dispute resulted in correction or deletion by the CRA.

It is only that Notice that constitutes the outcome of your dispute with EQ, and not what the furnisher may have voluntarily chosen to also report to other CRAs.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

What’s odd to me is that before the accounts were removed from equifax, they started reporting as “closed” and a remark that said something along the lines of account closed as a result of findings of consumer dispute. Obviously not in those words, but something like that. And now a couole days later that accounts have been removed completely. But then on EQ it doesn’t even show the accounts in dispute. It hasn’t been 30 days yet but I’m wondering it the collection agency updated with the wrong bureau.
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Possibly.

You should soon have the required Notice of Results of Reivestigation from EQ, which should answer your question regarding their finding on the dispute filed with them.  I would wait for that finding before speculating on why they may have chosen to delete with other CRAs, or whether the have found the dispute to be unverifiable or have made corrections.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.