Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections question

tag
bigred13
New Visitor

Collections question

I have a credit card debt from 10 years ago--it's not longer on my credit report.  The collections agency is still sending me letters and calling.  I realize that even while it's not on my credit report anymore I am still responsible for paying it off.  What are the potential consequences for not paying it?  A civil judgement?  Anyone know how this works?  Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Collections question

@bigred13 wrote:

I have a credit card debt from 10 years ago--it's not longer on my credit report.  The collections agency is still sending me letters and calling.  I realize that even while it's not on my credit report anymore I am still responsible for paying it off.  What are the potential consequences for not paying it?  A civil judgement?  Anyone know how this works?  Thanks in advance!

Ho bigred13 and welcome to the forums!!!! For a debt that old they will not be able to place a civil judgement against you. If you wish to pay the old debt I would offer them 10% or you can send them a cease and desist letter. However if they decide to sell the debt to another agency the next one will be calling. Me personally I would offer something to them and have a piece of mind that the debt is paid and gone. Unpaid debt never goes away. 

Community Leader, 

DaBears

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.