Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections still on report but not current

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections still on report but not current

I have around 6 collections from the same comapny on my report that are under delinquencies but the last time they reported was 4 months ago. Whats going on? Will they be deleted or go to another company. Age range from 2016 to 2018
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Re: Collections still on report but not current

They can report anytime they want to. I have accounts that haven’t reported in years(that are about to drop off soon)...and I DO NOT want to do ANYTHING that might cause them to update those accounts. Unless they are reporting “inaccurately,” IMHO, I would leave them alone. Unless, you are ready to PIF, settle, and/or offer PFD? Again, reporting is voluntary and they can report whenever they want to.

Hope that helps some?

Good Luck and Weclome to MyFICO Forums!!👍

😊

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

>

I❤️NY
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! Yes it does help!
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Debt collectors will often discontinue monthly updates if there is no change in reported information, such as decrease in balance, payment of the debt, or some other substantive change in reported information.

The legal requirement (FCRA 605(a)(2)) is that a furnisher must "promptly" update prior reporting as necessary to maintain its current accuracy.   You can dispute if they fail to update substantive information, but if the collection simply remains unpaid, common practice is often to cease regulare updates until there is some change in substantive information under the collection.

It is actually to the consumer's advantate, scoring wise, if a debt collector ceases regular updates.

An update reported by a debt collector on their collection that shows a continued status of open, unpaid, informs that the period since initial delinquency has increased, similar to reporting by a creditor of an increase in monthly delinquency from, for example, 60 late to 90 late.

Lack of update makes no statement as to continued period of delinquency, and thus does not trigger increase in negative scoring impact.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.