Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections

tag
riverajuan
Valued Member

Collections

Is it best to pay off collections than to make payments on time? I noticed in myfico score simulator that if Pay my balances down which include collections there is almost no effect in my score.

However, if I make one monthly payment towards a late account it has a bigger effect on my score.

Please advise  if possible it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Collections

Paying a collection will have no impact on your score at all.  Paid or unpaid they are still scored as a collection.

Message 2 of 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@riverajuan wrote:

Is it best to pay off collections than to make payments on time? I noticed in myfico score simulator that if Pay my balances down which include collections there is almost no effect in my score.

However, if I make one monthly payment towards a late account it has a bigger effect on my score.

Please advise  if possible it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi riverajuan, if you can pay the collection and have them remove the TL that would be the best option.

Message 3 of 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

Paying a collection will have no impact on your score at all.  Paid or unpaid they are still scored as a collection.

WAA. You beat me again in a reply 

Message 4 of 7
riverajuan
Valued Member

I really thank all of you for your quick responses and advice.

This is a great site to rebuild my credit and learn how to retain a good credit once is rebuil

I really appreciated

Thank you

Message 5 of 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

We are here if you ever need help. Good luck and keep us posted!!!Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
riverajuan
Valued Member

Thank you, but there is so much to read and learn that I am going to stick around for quite a while

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.