cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Columbia House/Experian Dispute

tag
2yearplan

Columbia House/Experian Dispute

Ok.  I disputed a Columbia House on my Experian Credit Report and my answer came back yesterday:  REMAINS....   It was from 2011 and I know for a fact that we didn't have columbia house then....all my kids have ipod touches and iphones...we haven't bought a cd in years.  Question:  what should be my next step?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Columbia House/Experian Dispute

If you  are 100% sure that it is not yours, and you have not opened that account.  Go to your local law enforcement agency and file a police report.  Take that report and sent it in with a dispute.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 7
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

If you  are 100% sure that it is not yours, and you have not opened that account.  Go to your local law enforcement agency and file a police report.  Take that report and sent it in with a dispute.

Yup.  Direct dispute, not the online verson where you have a Tweet's worth of characters to explain yourself

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+!, except for the dispute part.

Filing of a police report enables you, based on your sworn statement that you never authorized the questioned account,, to immediately have any reporting related thereto blocked from your credit report under FCRA 605B.  It is not part of or dependent upon a dispute process.  It is an alternative with many advantages.

Filing of a dispute will result in an unnecessary dispute flag being posted to your file, making your score kinda useless until the dispute is resolved.  Additionally, the creditor can verify the accuracy of their reporting based simply on their internal records, which apparently already show to them that you are the responsible creditor.  They need not provide supporting documentation to verify the accuracy in response to your dispute, so as a net result, a dispute can do more harm than good.  That is why congress enacted the identity theft process as an alternative to use of the dispute process when a creditors records show you as responsible, and you assert that you are not.

Additionally, unlike the dispute process, which does not compel them to provide any documentation in order to verify,, the identity theft process enables you, by simply sending a copy of the police report to the creditor, to compel them to provide you all business records in their possession pertaining to the account.  FCRA 609(e).

Message 4 of 7
Shayenorwood
Valued Member

Columbia house and double day must be running a scam. I also have a Columbia house that showed up on my credit report and a double day and I know they r not mine. They just shoed up a couple months ago
Message 5 of 7
KevinBlock55
Established Member

I cant imagine its much money. PFD
Message 6 of 7
sphinx313
Established Contributor

I had some sort of strange book club on my CR for like $81. A whole bunch of cook books and random things, I called RJM and they said they would get rid of it. Not sure if they have yet as I'm not paying for another TU report until my 2 CO's have a $0 balance and a collection gets deleted.

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.