cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comcast Collection - Can they refuse what they put in writing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comcast Collection - Can they refuse what they put in writing?

I've been working really hard on my credit as we are trying to buy a home. I have one collection account. At one point it was on my Equifax and Transunion report. The collection agency was Waypoint and it was for an old Comcast account. I called Waypoint - they refused to do anything to help me. I called Comcast who told me that if I paid the account in full they would remove it from the collection agency. I went onto a Comcast chat and got the same thing in writing.

With the chat transcript I went into a Comcast store and paid the account in full. The eployee that helped me also confimed this. I left with the receipt and chat transcript.

I disputed the account with Equifax and Transunion a week later - Transunion deleted immediately. Equifax.. nope! They updated the account as paid. I disputed again saying I did not pay Waypoint and providing the transcript. Again, updated and still on my credit report. I spoke to the mortgage person and she suggested filing complaints with a few places. I filed complaints towards Equifax and Waypoint. She also told me to try FCC with Comcast.

Comcast was the first to respond to me today. I sent them everything. The person told me that whoever I talked to was incorrect. That they would only update as paid and that was it. It would not be removed. BUT I HAVE IT IN WRITING!! Does it matter that their employees screwed up?? How is that my fault? I took what I had in writing as a contract. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! Equifax is my midscore and with this we can say goodbye to the house we are building.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Comcast Collection - Can they refuse what they put in writing?

BBB for Comcast https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started 

See what happens. No go. Then:

File a complaint with supporting documents to the CFPB on Equisux. https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/ 

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did submit a complaint with all the information to CFBC for Equifax.. still waiting to hear back.

Message 3 of 17
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Cool. Maybe that will settle this fiasco. Good Luck. Let us know what happens. So glad I dont live in a Comcrap area any longer. Not that Spectrum is any better.

Message 4 of 17
vntrsc
Frequent Contributor

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but you wrote that Comcast said it "would remove it from the collection agency."  

Did they say they would remove it from the "collection agency" or credit report? 

Message 5 of 17
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If Comcast took payment and told the CA. They have no more right to the debt. And then they go poof. Cant collect on something thats paid not owed.

Message 6 of 17
vntrsc
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

If Comcast took payment and told the CA. They have no more right to the debt. And then they go poof. Cant collect on something thats paid not owed.

I understand and agree.  But if Comcast is reporting, removing it from the collection agency is not the same as removing it from the credit report.  

That's why I asked if they said they'd remove it from the collection agency or the credit report. 

Message 7 of 17
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The collection was reported by the debt collector, and reflects that they had or have collection authority at some point in time.

The "agreement" was by the original creditor, and not the reporting party (i.e., the debt collector).

A creditor cannot enter into a binding contract that agrees to delete reporting that was not made by them.

Even if they did state that the collection would be removed, it is not an enforceable contract (PFD) limitation since the contracting party did not have the authority to do what they agreed would be done.

Additionally, agreeing to terminate collection authority after payment of the debt is not the same as agreeing to delete credit reporting.

The creditor can agree to terminate collection authority, but that does not mandate deletion of the otherwise legit collection, which was reportable based on collection authority obtained and valid prior to payment of the debt.

CRA policy, as explicitly stated in their common credit reporting manual, clearly instructs debt collectors NOT to delete their credit reporting based on payment of the debt.

Deletion of a reported collection is only stipulated under CRA policy if the creditor terminates collection authority PRIOR to payment of the debt.  When the consumer pays the creditor, that payment alone terminates continued collection authority, and thus the creditor does not terminate prior to payment of the debt, and cannot retroactively terminate after the fact of payment.

Pursual of deletion by the debt collector is by way of a good-will request directed at the debt collector, and not be enforcement of any contract provision "agreed to" by a party who has no ability to delete.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I not able to post a picture or file? I can show what I have in writing.

But Comcast said that if I paid them they would remove my account from the collection agency. The collection agency would then no longer have the account they are reporting to the credit bureau on my record.
Message 9 of 17
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I believe after you become a member then you can do uploads and a whole lot more stuff.  Good luck on your deletion. And welcome to the forums BTW!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.