Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comenity Cards

I am wondering if I did the shopping cart trick and opened 2 or 3 comenity cards to boost my credit will it :

A) hurt more than help by lowering credit history?

B) help because it lowers dtc without a hard pull on credit?

C) help raise my mortgage fico which is what I am needing for a better rate?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comenity Cards

What is your current age of accounts?  How many credit cards do you currently have?  If you already have 3-5 cards, I wouldn't bother.  I did the SCT for three Comenity cards and two of them actually ended up doing a hard pull, so you have to be careful about it.  If you don't really need the cards or wouldn't frequently use them, I wouldn't do it.  They may help with your mortgage score, but that depends on what your current derogs are that are holding your score down.  

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only have an average of about 1.5 years I do have 3 unsecured cards as well as 3 store cards. My derogs are a 3yo bk and a 60day late that wont go away because barclay refuses to accept a death as an excuse to be late. My dtc is at about 80% and I dont have 3000 on hand to pay it down to boost my middle score to 620 right now. If I can raise my credit available I can qualify for a Usda loan or dp assist. Just need to go from 591 to 620
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If...big IF, you could by chance get an SCT card with a larger limit the decrease in dti could offset the ding in AAoA.

IMHO you would get better gains from a credit builder loan of some sort (provided you don't already have one).
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already have a loan out just didnt want to refi it to up the amount. But it may be my only choice for now.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.