Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity Charge-off / Goodwill Email and/or phone numbers

tag
JM761
Regular Contributor

Comenity Charge-off / Goodwill Email and/or phone numbers

Hello, ficofriends!

I'm hoping to heart other's experiences with Comenity. I just had a very interesting convo (they were totally off-base) with Comenity and wanted to see if other have had success removing a charge off with Comentiy from their CR. 

First, let me just say, I know this is not the norm - a charge-off is most likely stuck with me for the full 7 years from the DOFD. I got a little hopefuly when I read a few stories in the forums that Cap 1 and Synch and another (Citi?) had charged-off/sold the debt, the debt was paid to the CA and, once notified the debt was paid, these banks deleted the tradeline from the CR.

Since I have another 3.5-4 years with this Comenity Charge off, I thought I would start trying goodwill crusade in hopes I catch someone willing to throw me a bone and delete the TL. This charge off, in particular, really upsets me b/c we were in such a bad spot, 1 income and trying to keep a roof over our head. I bought $97 in clothes to go on an interview. I wasn't able to pay it back and it went to collections, got interest. Ended up paying $353 to a collection agency that had stopped harassing me for the money...I just wanted it paid. 

Anyway, fast forward 3 years and I'm repairing my credit. I'm getting there. 

On my CR, the Comenity account (OC) is marked as Charge off / sold to aonther lender. Balance $0.

I called Comentiy, the bounced me over to their Recovery Department. The woman I spoke with was defintely going according to a script. Not once did she say she could *not* remove it. She just didn't understand what I was asking. Kept telling me to dispute it with the CA. I knew that wouldn't work so I told her the CA told me the info would be deleted (they did but I knew they were pulling my leg back then b/c they had no control over a paid debt). 

The Comenity rep was very kind but after speaking with a manager, she said (again) I had to dispute it or call the colletion agency to have it removed. She said the info was reported at $0 owed. She didn't seem to understand anything about CRs and the impact of a Charge off. I explained that I was expecting the tradeline to be deleted b/c they no longer own the debt. the manager told her "they are having an issue and to check back in 45 days".

I know I"m not an expert at this credit repair stuff but I know that was just to stall me for another 2 months when I would call back and get a different represenative Smiley Happy I asked her to note it on my account. She assured me she would (yeah, right). She couldn't tell me what she meant by "an issue". She just said that's what her manager said. So, obviously, she just wanted me off the phone.

That being said, I'm still motivated and going to ask for the TL to be deleted through some goodwill letters/emails. It worked for others with other companies (see this thread: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Capital-One-charge-off-removal-success/td-p/...

I found a few other references to Comenity - someone said a 50/50 chance of having it deleted. I figure I'll keep trying.

So, ifyou made it to the bottom of this rambling email...does anyone have any comenity contact references? 

Thanks in advance...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
JM761
Regular Contributor

Re: Comenity Charge-off / Goodwill Email and/or phone numbers

a quick update: 

Called D&A (the CA handling the account for Crown Asset management) and got MORE terrible advice. 

The whole time I was thinking "thank goodness for myfico!". If I didn't join this forum, I'd believe everything the CA told me.

For reference, Comentiy (OC) charged off my $350 debt and sold to Crown Asset. Crown Asset had D&A collecting the funds.

I paid the CO to D&A in May 2022. 

Today, on the phone, a woman from D&A told me that all I needed to do was take the receipt they sent me and upload it to the credit bureau and they would remove the Comenity (OC) info from my credit report. Umm..what? 

That makes no sense. It's a CO and the balance is already $0. 

She then told me to call Comenity and they would do it. I told her I did and relayed my story posted above and she said "well, just upload to the credit bureau. they will help you' and basically hung up on me.

So...I'll start goodwill letter tonight and figure out who to contact at Comenity.

Message 2 of 5
Twotimesacharm
Regular Contributor

My experience with my Comenity CO was not good. I went through two rounds of Goodwill letters with them and they were kind enough to call after I sent emails to the higher ups, but after being denied the second time, they actually changed the the "status updated" date from the 2018 paid in full date to the conversation date of June 2021 and I took a 20 point hit. I disputed it and they fixed it on 2 of my 3 reports. I will never send them another letter. Sorry of that's not the info you wanted ☹️

Message 3 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@JM761As @Twotimesacharm did with sending GW letters. With Comenity it doesnt happen. Yes every bank will have maybe 1 poster from here get a CO updated to PIF. Deleted wont happen. From here on out. Pay yourself 10% each payday in savings. You'd be surprised how fast it grows just in case this ever comes up again. Not much you can do. Only got a couple yrs left.

Message 4 of 5
JM761
Regular Contributor

Thank you for this info. I think I'll just let it be Smiley Happy 

I have a few more years left...patience is hard!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.