Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity Hard Pulls?

tag
bmblbg
Regular Contributor

Comenity Hard Pulls?

So back in October I was at Victoria's Secret and when I went to pay at the register, I was told I was preapproved. She asked me to verify the last 4 of my SSN and I did, and then went on with my life.  I was excited so I went to Express and NYCO websites and was approved for both using the SC trick.

Fast forward to today when I pulled my reports (I pull every 6 months), and I have hard inquiries for all 3 accounts.  WHAT?! I thought they were supposed to be soft?  I called Comenity and they told me that they are a hard pull and they won't update report.

I didn't apply for anything, only gave last 4 SSN, and I REALLY don't remember clicking anything stating I authorize them to pull my report - certainly not at the register I did not!

Thoughts?? Help!

Mortgage Scores:
11/26/2018 EQ: 542 EX: 610 TU: 548
8/30/2018 EQ: 571 EX: 504 TU: 533
7/30/2018: EQ: 598 EX: 591 TU: 608
4/5/2018 EQ: 543 EX: 522 TU: 467
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Comenity Hard Pulls?

FCRA 604 permits a creditor to pull your credit report without any express authorization provided you have "inititated a request for credit."

While it may not have been clear at the register that providing your personal info qualified as your initiation of a request for credit, it was implied as so interpreted by the creditor, and thus was permissible purpose for making an inquiry for your credit report without any express authorization from you.

As for coding as hard or soft, any consumer initiated request for credit can be coded as hard.  Coding as soft is entirely optional, and unless promised as such at time of application, there would be no basis for a formal complaint or dispute.

Message 2 of 6
moosemoney
Regular Contributor

Sort of the same thing happened to me. I had read about the Shopping Cart Trick and how it was considered a "soft pull," so when I was shopping on Ulta's website later that week and I got the notification that I was preapproved (all I had to do was confirm the last 4 of my SSN), I figured I'd go for it. I am still rebuilding and only have one card right now (a secured Discover IT), so I am looking for ways to increase my available credit.

I did it and was approved. I was thrilled. I checked Credit Karma later (I haven't signed up for the paid membership here yet) and it showed as reporting but not as a hard pull, so I thought I was in the clear. Then late last week I got my annual free credit reports, and lo and behold the Comenity was showing as a hard pull. Luckily I only had two others so it's not a huge hit, but I was not happy to see that.

Message 3 of 6
bmblbg
Regular Contributor

That's sort of what I figured.... Well, darn. Comenity did suggest I send in a letter requesting it be removed anyway - sort of an "I didn't understand so would you please out of the kindness of your hearts" kinda thing! So, let's see how that shakes out!  Thanks!!

Mortgage Scores:
Message 4 of 6
bmblbg
Regular Contributor

It was definitely a shocker!! Oh well, live and learn, I guess!!

@moosemoney wrote:

Sort of the same thing happened to me. I had read about the Shopping Cart Trick and how it was considered a "soft pull," so when I was shopping on Ulta's website later that week and I got the notification that I was preapproved (all I had to do was confirm the last 4 of my SSN), I figured I'd go for it. I am still rebuilding and only have one card right now (a secured Discover IT), so I am looking for ways to increase my available credit.

I did it and was approved. I was thrilled. I checked Credit Karma later (I haven't signed up for the paid membership here yet) and it showed as reporting but not as a hard pull, so I thought I was in the clear. Then late last week I got my annual free credit reports, and lo and behold the Comenity was showing as a hard pull. Luckily I only had two others so it's not a huge hit, but I was not happy to see that.

Mortgage Scores:
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd had my Victoria Secret card for 4-5 yrs. Started w/ a $300 cl and worked my way up to $3000. I have recently been a victim of identity theft. Fraud after fraud but still managed to keep my 100% payment history on my credit report. I have an AMEX, Wells Fargo, Discover, Capital One and multiple Comenity Bank store accounts with high credit limits. EX drops the identity theft alert from my report and ADDS a PAID collection from an ambulance ride a few years ago. The other two bureaus didn't do this. My score dropped to a low 600. My EQ score was 713 and TU was 685. Comenity w/ no warning drops my VS card cl from $3000 to $900 (my balance was $850 at the time) and I had a PERFECT history w/ that account and ALL of my credit cards! I was LIVID!! That will cause a major tank in your score too. I called them up and called them every name in the book and told them to shove that $900 cl cc. They refused to look at my history or pull my scores with the other bureaus. Comenity Bank will screw you over and not care how loyal you have been.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.