Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused a bit about COs and Collections

tag
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Confused a bit about COs and Collections

So I'm working on paying off my collections, and I guess I'm still confused. If I pay off collections, I understand I can try to do a PFD for the collection account, but what happens to the original CO account? Can I contact the OC and show them proof I've paid off the collection for their respective account to see if they're willing to delete their negative trade line? Or do I simply have to wait the 7.5 years for the COs to fall off? Note all of my COs went to collections, except for Wells Fargo. I've attached my accounts below.

Screenshot_20190418-190624_Firefox.jpg

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Confused a bit about COs and Collections

Reporting by a creditor of the payment history of a consumer on their account is totally separate from reporting by a debt collector that they have obtained collection authority on the debt.  

Each is independently responsible for their own reporting, and payment of the debt requires each to update their own reporting to show paid, $0 balance, but is not basis for deletion of any accurate reporting.

In fact, CRA reporting policy, as set forth in their common credit reporting manual, explicitly states that creditors or debt collectors are not to delete reporting based on payment of the debt.

Unless you can get one or the other to vary from the terms of their credit reporting agreement and delete based on payment of the debt, you must wait until the credit report exclusion period has run its course.

Message 2 of 3
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Confused a bit about COs and Collections

I understand I can't get it deleted, but I guess I'm hoping more so for a little guidance to get the COs changed to paid off, $0 balance if possible. Should I try to contact the respective OC and show them proof of payment/settlement with the collection agency they employed?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.