Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about disputing lates....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused about disputing lates....

Looking through my credit report, I see where several vendors have reported late payments DIFFERENTLY to the various CRA's.  For instance, May '07 reports 30 days on Experian & Transunion but 60 days late on Equifax.  I have some months that show NO lates on certain reports and 30 days on other reports.

At the time I was going through my divorce and know I had some lates.  But it seems wrong they are being reported so differently amongst the various bureaus.

How do I go about disputing these?  Or can I?

All this stems from Tulsa Teachers Credit Union where I had 2 auto accounts & 1 credit card.  And also from a home loan through ABN Amro Mortgage, which is now Citi Mortgage.  Each account shows about 6-8 lates varying in degree from 30-90 days.  If I can't dispute, anyone have any luck with GW to these creditors?  Any contact info you can share?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

Re: Confused about disputing lates....

Don't dispute them if you know that they're accurate.  If you have records to indicate the reporting is wrong, then you can file disputes.  Write up GW letters to the creditors asking them to remove the lates.

Message Edited by JoeBJay20 on 07-18-2009 09:46 AM
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, some of them are definitely legit, and I will GW those; however, the concerning part to me is how they report 30 days late to one bureau and 60 days late to the other two bureaus for the SAME month/year.  That is bogus.  While helping me at 1 place, they are killing me at 2 others.  It seems I should be able to do something, I am just not certain how in this situation.

Now granted, the worst case scenario MAY be accurate, and I am just getting lucky at 1 bureau.  I can't prove it either way.  I lost my checking statements in a move and no longer bank at that institution because my ex-wife had friends and relatives that worked FOR the bank and I felt unsecure.  Think it may be possible to obtain old statements from them?  It would only be for 2006 & 2007 years.

Message 3 of 5
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

You can request records, but I'm not totally certain to what degree you can compel them to comply. 
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I meant my bank records from 2006/2007 which is when the lates started occuring so I could go ahead and prove my point and get them reduced down appropriately.  But thinking about it more, you are probably right.  I might be better off simply to GW them first.  I probably wouldn't want to help someone GW their account after they just proved I reported something wrong.

Another question, on my Experian report these accounts show "Paid, Closed".  However, the TU report shows the mortgage as "30 days past due" although it's been paid off since 8/2007.  Shouldn't this say something similar and definitely not past due?

Only 1 of the negative credit union accounts show on TU and it is reporting as "Paid/Paying as agreed" and shows it was updated 10/2008 and reflects good payment history from 9/2007 until 9/2008 even though the account was PIF on 8/2007 and never used the year it said I made payments on time.  Not sure what to do on that one outside of let it be?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.