Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused on who to pay

tag
Wizard10
Contributor

Confused on who to pay

So I have a collection that I will be PFD. On Experian and equifax it list the CA but on transunion it list the OC. Should I call CA or OC for payment? As a matter of fact on transunion my remaining 3 collections all have OC as the name on them.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Confused on who to pay

@Wizard10 wrote:
So I have a collection that I will be PFD. On Experian and equifax it list the CA but on transunion it list the OC. Should I call CA or OC for payment? As a matter of fact on transunion my remaining 3 collections all have OC as the name on them.

You want to first try and get any OC to recall the collectors in exchange for payment with them, this gets rid of the CA if they accept the offer. If the OC wont do it then you go to the CA with a PFD offer.

Message 2 of 12
vntrsc
Frequent Contributor

Does the OC’s entry show that the account has been sold or transferred?   If not, I would contact the OC about payment. 

Message 3 of 12
Wizard10
Contributor

So I got PFD on the collection which will soon show on my credit report. But as I said transunion still shows that I owe the OC and I know they sold the account. When the collection drops from Experian and equifax what should I do if it’s not updated on transunion and it’s still saying I owe. TransunionTransunion

ExperianExperian

Message 4 of 12
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Dispute it under paid. I had to do that for my Equifax on the oc which also had the collection account on there too.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 5 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

As Cap-1 is reporting a balance they still own it and just engaged the collectors to collect on their behalf. Per the FCRA anyone who reports info must report accurate info so what will happen is they will update that to a paid CO within 2 typical billing cycles. They are granted 'reasonable time period' to get it updated.
Message 6 of 12
Wizard10
Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:
As Cap-1 is reporting a balance they still own it and just engaged the collectors to collect on their behalf. Per the FCRA anyone who reports info must report accurate info so what will happen is they will update that to a paid CO within 2 typical billing cycles. They are granted 'reasonable time period' to get it updated.

Will I have to send them a goodwill letter to remove it? Seems odd that eq and ex doesn’t report it that way and I will not have to deal with cap 1 on those 2 

Message 7 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The reporting by the creditor and by the debt collector are totally separate.

If the creditor is reporting and has assigned collection authority to a debt collector, the debt collector may or may not choose to report to each CRA.  They can, for example, choose to only report to one CRA.  Perhaps they want to simply reporting, or perhaps they only have a reporting contract with one CRA.  It is discretionary on their part.

If you are seeking deletion of a reported collection, the direct way is to offer a pay for deletion to the debt collector.

If they accept, then you obtain deletion without the need to go thru the indirect process of first requesting the creditor to terminate their assignment of collection authority to their debt collector, and then paying the creditor directly.

Deletion of a collection by a debt collector is only required under CRA reporting policy, and not statute, and only if the collection authority is terminated prior to your paying the creditor.  That around the barn approach wont be necessary if the debt collector accepts a PFD.

Message 8 of 12
Wizard10
Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

The reporting by the creditor and by the debt collector are totally separate.

If the creditor is reporting and has assigned collection authority to a debt collector, the debt collector may or may not choose to report to each CRA.  They can, for example, choose to only report to one CRA.  Perhaps they want to simply reporting, or perhaps they only have a reporting contract with one CRA.  It is discretionary on their part.

If you are seeking deletion of a reported collection, the direct way is to offer a pay for deletion to the debt collector.

If they accept, then you obtain deletion without the need to go thru the indirect process of first requesting the creditor to terminate their assignment of collection authority to their debt collector, and then paying the creditor directly.

Deletion of a collection by a debt collector is only required under CRA reporting policy, and not statute, and only if the collection authority is terminated prior to your paying the creditor.  That around the barn approach wont be necessary if the debt collector accepts a PFD.

Debit collector has accepted PFD. So I’m awaiting for it to show on EX and EQ

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have seen others mention this on several occasions and would be worth your time to confirm, if in doubt reach out to the OC and verify that the CA has the authority to collect this debt on their behalf.

Then make your decision!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.