Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer Adjustment Company (CACi?)

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Consumer Adjustment Company (CACi?)

Received an alert from myfico that a new collection popped up on EX. Checked EX and there's a new collection from Consumer Adjustment Company, who I believe goes by CACi, for a debt to Kay's. Took a 19 point hit, 21 on EQ. They're trying to collect on a debt that I paid to another agency (don't have the name on hand) last year. It's not the full balance, only $141, while what I paid was significantly more.

After seeing this, I realized that I never received anything from the previous debt owner saying I fulfilled the debt. This is a problem because they also handled my Jared's account and now I'm worried that will pop up as unpaid.

I know I can probably fight it by showing my reports and bank statements in court, but with the economy as it is, this is definitely something I don't need right now. The blow to my rebuilding is bad enough.

At this point, I'm wondering if I should try a PFD and then go after the other lender later. If so, does anyone know if these guys PFD? I believe the debt can still be reported for a couple of more years so it's really annoying me right now.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Consumer Adjustment Company (CACi?)

Looks like I'll be the guinea pig.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with this annoying collections.

Unfortunately, I only found one other thread on myfico and no others elsewhere in the few moments I searched.

This CA's name is so unoriginal and plain that it makes it hard to find info on it.

The website doesn't hint at all of a pfd so please report back if you can. 

Also, I know it might be annoying but it might be worth your time to go through your records of the previous CA that you dealt with.

Worst case you can call in and request the status on your account with them. If it was closed, ask to be emailed or snail mailed a record of this and use that as proof during your debt validation request for this CA. 

Message 3 of 13
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Update: haven't had a chance to call them yet, but I received an alert that a new collections has appeared in my reports. It appears these guys removed and reinserted the collection. Curious what it will do to my score, if anything.

Message 4 of 13
imcash100
New Visitor

Interesting going through something similar. Oddly enough its say Kay Jewelers but in remarks its says Medical. Im going to dispute.

Message 5 of 13
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Update: They have reinserted the collection for a 3rd time with EX in 8 days. This time I didn't lose any points.

@RobertEG  is this legal? Could I take them to court for a FDCPA or FCRA violation? 

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Update: They have reinserted the collection for a 3rd time with EX in 8 days. This time I didn't lose any points.

@RobertEG  is this legal? Could I take them to court for a FDCPA or FCRA violation? 

I have 2 creditors that remove and replace their TLs every month.

There was one month where 1 did it *daily*.

I usually gain and lose the same number of points when they do this. Sometimes I gain more points than lose and vice versa.

I believe they do this to ensure your scores stay suppressed (I have had minimal to no score changes - so I have basically hit a  plateau - in the last 6-ish months and even with many, many baddies being removed - lates and entire TLs) and to get your attention since if you have a CMS, they know you will likely get notified.

I also noticed they watch closely for activity on the CRs. They probably thought I expired or disappeared for 7+ years since there was absolutely no activity on my CRs, so they did not do this practice and removal and addition, but once activity resumed, they began and the more activity there was, the more frequently I feel like they did it. Maybe I am crazy, but I have a whole slew of notifications for this.

I agree it shouldn't be allowed, but I believe this has been brought up before and @RobertEG said that it was allowed? Again, I could be wrong about that, so I apologize if I am.

Good luck!

Message 7 of 13
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous I don't gain and lose the same amount. I've lost more than I've gained because it only stays off long enough to be reported again and each time I lose more points. -6 vs +2. It really should be illegal as it shows as a recent derogatory vs years old. I get reporting once taking ownership, but this is almost like being vindictive just because you can. 

Message 8 of 13
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

They removed and reported to EX again.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Anonymous I don't gain and lose the same amount. I've lost more than I've gained because it only stays off long enough to be reported again and each time I lose more points. -6 vs +2. It really should be illegal as it shows as a recent derogatory vs years old. I get reporting once taking ownership, but this is almost like being vindictive just because you can. 

If it updated monthly, it is still recent.

I will say when they remove and add it back in for me it still shows the original "open" date, so that does not change when they first got the "collecting authority".

Does that date change every month for you as to when it opened?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.