Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convergent Outsourcing???? Need help!

tag
Madyun1982
Regular Contributor

Convergent Outsourcing???? Need help!

Hello Eveyone...

This morning I recieved a call from a company called Convergent outsourcing..

I was unable to talk when they initally called, so I called them back. They're stating that they are trying to collect a debt from 2016

for a paypal balance.. They stated that they bought my account back in 2017, and they do not report to the CRA however they just wanted to settle the debt. I told them that I do not recall owing paypal money, and I would give paypal a call and call them back.

I contacted paypal, and they're stating they do not see that I owe a balance. The debt is for 177.10

I don't know what to do.. Should I just pay it, so it wont affect my credit in the future? I have been working really hard trying to rebuild and this is the last thing I need to show up on my credit report. Even though the young lady said that they nor paypal report to the CRA I just want to be safe than sorry.. Any advice on how I should handle this? Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Convergent Outsourcing???? Need help!

@Madyun1982 wrote:

Hello Eveyone...

This morning I recieved a call from a company called Convergent outsourcing..

I was unable to talk when they initally called, so I called them back. They're stating that they are trying to collect a debt from 2016

for a paypal balance.. They stated that they bought my account back in 2017, and they do not report to the CRA however they just wanted to settle the debt. I told them that I do not recall owing paypal money, and I would give paypal a call and call them back.

I contacted paypal, and they're stating they do not see that I owe a balance. The debt is for 177.10

I don't know what to do.. Should I just pay it, so it wont affect my credit in the future? I have been working really hard trying to rebuild and this is the last thing I need to show up on my credit report. Even though the young lady said that they nor paypal report to the CRA I just want to be safe than sorry.. Any advice on how I should handle this? Thanks in advance

This would be the correct time to request debt validation, correct?

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is both possible and common that after a creditor sells a debt to a debt collector, then records of the closed account are archived and not readily accessible by phone reps.  The creditor will often ship records to basement storage or to the new owner, and not make any effort to dig deeper when contacted.

I would not assume that the phone contact is evidence of no debt in fact.

Yes, that is the main purpose of the debt validation process, where you can submit a request to the debt collector for validation of the debt.

A DV request is timely if sent within 30 days after receipt of a dunning notice from the debt collector, and if timely, imposes a cease collection bar on the debt collector, which remains in effect until the debt collector chooses to send validation.

A DV, even if timely, does not set a period for their required validation, but does bar further collection activities until they have done so.

Their initiation of communication with the consumer triggered a 5 day period within which they must send their collection ("dunning") notice, which then begins the 30-day period within which you can send a timely DV request.

Message 3 of 6
Madyun1982
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the replies...
I've been going through my paypal statements from the time they state the charge occured.. I do not see it. Also I have paypal credit.. They're saying this is from something that paypal paid for then attempted to draft the funds from my account.. And they were unable to.. However my banking info etc. Have been the same since opening my paypal.. I just got the paypal extras credit card in July.. But this charge is from 2016..

I also checked my credit report and I see that they've been doing soft pulls of my credit report.. So I guess I'll start with a DV letter.. Does anyone know where I can obtain a draft of one? Or would Google be my best option? Thanks in advance
Message 4 of 6
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

Hey,

You have to first be honest with yourself. 

#1 Is this your debt?

#2 Do you have $177.00 to pay it?

I'm in the process of rebuilding and the one thing I can tell you for certain is this.. 

I've been successful at removing 20 of 22 collections from my reports in just under 2 months. Convergent outsourcing is the only one thats sticking after debt validation requests and formal disputes. (It's from an old Tmobile account I believe)

For $177.00, it's worth just paying it so that it doesn't show up one day.. If it shows up on your report and haunts you for another 5 years.. it would be a shame. At some point in the future, if it shows up on your report, youll be forced to pay it anyhow if you plan on purchasing a home. Take care of it

Last Inquiry 12/23/2022 Ally Bank Mortgage
Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 5 of 6
Madyun1982
Regular Contributor

@tparks5961
Yes I have the funds to pay it.. And i'm willing to pay it. However I'm not going to pay for something that isn't mine. Now after I send the DV and it indeed comes back valid. I will pay it no problem. But I refuse to toss 177.10 into the wind before being sure. I think i'm taking all the proper precautions because you never know.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.