Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Court Garnishment - B-LO

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Court Garnishment - B-LO

hello, I am need of advice. about 10 years ago i made the age old mistake of signing for credit items on behalf of a family member. That family member didn't have decent credit and needed furniture which we went to purchase at Conn's. Fast forward a year later and the person was evicted and moved all their belongings in storage. During this time they lost the storage to auction and stopped making payments on the furniture. Well, last Monday morning I woke up to a -14k balance on my bank account. I found out through digging that the collection agency B-LO, LLC had filed a civil court case and won a judgement against me and the judgement was on 4800 + interest. I contacted an attorney to find out my options, and they dug through the paperwork and said that i was served by way of process server who signed an affidavit stating that they stuck on the door. I know that the debt is legally in my name but I never received these service documents. the order was signed for payment to B-Lo and not Conn's, my question is how do I approach this collection agency to get this judgement settled and removed. I DON'T HAVE 14K! any advice is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Impress
Established Member

Re: Court Garnishment - B-LO

Am I assumimg correctly from your username that you are in Texas?  If so, check into your case, you should be able to go either online, or get the court to pull all docs concerning you case.  In the state of Texas a process server has to physically hand you the papers, or leave them with someone over a certain age (I want to say 16). The only way they can be put on the door, is if they have permission from the judge.  I'm not sure if that rule was in place 10 years ago, so you will need to check.   If they did not serve you properly, you may have a chance at getting the judgement set aside.

Message 2 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

A case of what is known as "sewer service" I would consult a consumer credit attorney to see what they can get done. I know there is a process to go through but am not aware of what it actually is.

Message 3 of 5
jmw1
Frequent Contributor

A couple of issues with regards to improper service:

1) They are often "he said, she said" situations without additonal proof that you weren't deliberately evading service. It's often less than a tossup that you can get the default judgment set aside. 

2) If your default judgment is set aside, you're just delaying the inevitable since they will simply sue you again.

Message 4 of 5
bass_playr
Established Contributor

"A couple of issues with regards to improper service:

1) They are often "he said, she said" situations without additonal proof that you weren't deliberately evading service. It's often less than a tossup that you can get the default judgment set aside. 

2) If your default judgment is set aside, you're just delaying the inevitable since they will simply sue you again."

With respect, I cannot disagree more.  

First, this is not quite a he said she said issue.  They claim to have served you.  If the law in your state requires personally handing you the documents, as I suspect it does absent further stipulations from the court, then this was improper service.  Improper service means the court has literally zero jurisdiction over that party until such time as the service can be legally and properly completed.  This is why the moving party needs to file a proof of service in basically all jurisdictions.  The POS is like you stating under oath to the court that you did in fact personally serve the defendant, or another resident, at ____ address, etc etc.  Posting the summons on the door is not generally allowed in most jurisdictions unless the plaintiff can show that they made bona fide effort to serve you, and have for whatever reason not been successful.  Many jurisdictions also allow alternative service by posting notice in a local newspaper, but again, the main effort to serve must be done personally.  

In Texas, at least right now, Rule 106 of the RCP states that personal service must be performed--either by physically handing the actual defendant a copy of the papers, or by certified mail return receipt requested to the defendant.  The return receipt is sufficient proof that service was effected in the case of the latter.  If neither of those are successful, then the moving party must make an affidavit and motion to the court, explaining under oath that service has been attempted but not successful.  At that point, the court will authorize the process server to leave a copy of the summons with any person over the age of 16 at that residence or business.  At that point, service is considered completed unless good cause can later be shown as to why it was not--for example, if they tried to serve you at an address you never lived at, you would have a decent argument for improper service.  

They are not permitted to merely nail it to the door.  At least, not without bona fide effort beforehand at personal service.  If you go back to the court clerk's office and view the record again, you should either see that more attempts were made prior to the "we stuck it to the door", or else it is invalid and improper service.  Was the address where they claim to have stuck it on the door your actual address at that time?  

Second, if your default judgment from several years ago is set aside, that means the SOL clock goes back to what it would have been had they never sued you....which more than likely means it's expired by now and any attempt to sue you would be shut down rather quickly with a "time-barred" defense.  SOL begins to run at delinquency, so if your family member stopped paying on this 8 years ago or so, then it's outside the applicable SOL for most states right now.  Courts do not reward plaintiffs that file cases, fake proper service and then it's shown all these years later that the POS was a lie.  SOL is SOL, and the moment an account goes beyond it, the creditor can do nothing whatsoever to revive it.  

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.