Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Collections for non-US Citizen not living in US

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card Collections for non-US Citizen not living in US

Hello All,

I am a non-US Citizen and was in US last year for work purpose. I had to left US urgently due to family emergency and therefore was unable to pay rent for my leasing which required 60 day notice period. I informed the leasing office in writing for the reason I had to left US. Now, the total amount of $2480 has gone to collection agency. Since I won't be coming back to US, what will happen if I don't pay the amount? Will it affect my credit score? What actions can be taken against me in this case? Can I pay to them if I return to US? Do they charge interest if I don't pay? Can I negotiate the amount since paying this much amount is impossible for me.

Please help

Thanks!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card Collections for non-US Citizen not living in US

Would really appreciate of some inputs

Message 2 of 15
sccredit
Valued Contributor

You can certainly negotiate with them.  I'd asssume that interest is accruing.  While they cannot serve you in person in some jurisdictions a lawsuit can be served via publication.  At minimum you leaving the US tolls the SOL on the debt and they clock picks up when you return, or in your case the clock would start.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you say about negotiating, with whom I should negotiate - creditor or with the collection agency? What is SOL?

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once it's with collections, it means that debt is sold to collection agency. Hence you need to negotiate with collection agency. 

Also while negotiating make sure collection record will be deleted from credit bureaus once you complete your payment.

Message 5 of 15
newhis
Valued Contributor

Yes your score will drop. I hope you can pay it and be removed from your reports. Good luck.

Message 6 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I wasn't clear if you will be returning at some stage?  If you don't plan to return to the US, then obviously the (US) credit score doesn't matter.   

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to make sure that the collection record will be deleted from credit bureaus? Also, do they have any agent associated with the record with whom I can talk to and negotitate?

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

in how much time one has to pay before the score drops? I am not sure about the score drop since this is the first time that the record has been posted to collection agency hence asking this type of questions

Message 9 of 15
sccredit
Valued Contributor

it depends on whether the debt is still OWNED by the original creditor or by the collection agency.  If the OC still owns the debt you negotiate with them for a PFD.  If the CA owns it you negotiate a PFD with them.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.