Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card denials

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card denials

I am so frustrated and I'm hoping someone can give me advice. I have spent the last 3-4 years meticulously fixing my credit. About 5 years ago I filed for bankruptcy but ended up withdrawing the filing voluntarily and it was dismissed. Unfortunately its still on my credit. Since that time, though, I have paid off all my creditors. My current score is around the 670 mark, I own a home and a vehicle with completely on time payments. Even with all if this the only credit card I have been able to get approved for is a Kohls card, which has always been paid on time. The dismissed bankruptcy is the only negative item I have on my credit now and I make decent money too. Are there any cards I can get approved for with a prior bankruptcy? 

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Card denials

@Anonymous wrote:

I am so frustrated and I'm hoping someone can give me advice. I have spent the last 3-4 years meticulously fixing my credit. About 5 years ago I filed for bankruptcy but ended up withdrawing the filing voluntarily and it was dismissed. Unfortunately its still on my credit. Since that time, though, I have paid off all my creditors. My current score is around the 670 mark, I own a home and a vehicle with completely on time payments. Even with all if this the only credit card I have been able to get approved for is a Kohls card, which has always been paid on time. The dismissed bankruptcy is the only negative item I have on my credit now and I make decent money too. Are there any cards I can get approved for with a prior bankruptcy? 

Just to level set everybody, which credit cards have you applied for?  The usual suspects of companies willing to forgive is all over this forum, typically with CapitalOne sitting at the top of that list.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

So most recently it was one called Petal, I applied for Discover and WalMart a few months ago and got denied. I know my credit score is not super high but though I could at least get something other than just Kohls. 

Message 3 of 24
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Did you try CapitalOne?

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

No not yet. One of the past credit issues I paid off was a Capital One debt, though, so I was afraid it would be an immediate no. I paid them in full for the debt though. It was for a credit card debt incurred over 7 years ago. 

Message 5 of 24
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No not yet. One of the past credit issues I paid off was a Capital One debt, though, so I was afraid it would be an immediate no. I paid them in full for the debt though. It was for a credit card debt incurred over 7 years ago. 

I'll bet you dollars to donuts they approve you.  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 24
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One is actually one of the most (if not THE most) forgiving whether they're paid back or not. It's worth a try.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 24
MrBEW
Regular Contributor

Have you thought about getting a secured card? That is usually a good starting point. Also, check and see if you pre-approved/pre-qualified before applying. 

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is 670 a FICO score or vantage score? Where did you get the 670?

Capital One as mentioned above. You can see if you're preapproved on their website and then if you are pre-approved you would then want to apply for the card. Keep in mind Capital One is a triple pull on the actual application so TU, EU, EX will all receive a hard pull. If you don't see a preapproval I would highly recommend not to submit an app. 

If you have Apple products you could try and apply for the Apple Card. You won't get a hard pull unless you accept an offer.

If those don't work Credit One does offer preapprovals on their cards. That said this would be a last resort. They do have one card with $0 fees and another that has a $39 annual fee/no maintenace fees. All their other cards I would advise against unless you're willing to pay both a high AF and/or maintenance fees. 

As for denials, they happen don't take it personal. It happens to all of us.  Two days ago I prequalified for a credit card with FNBO $3800 SL. I might have prequalified but silly me did the app, got the HP and no dice, had to eat the hard pull.

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

The scores that I am using are based on WalletHub for Transunion score (Which I think might be a Vantage Score) of 669, an Experian website score of 668 and an Equifax website score of 688. I also tried to do a prequalification for a Lowes card through Synchrony Bank and says I didn't prequalify, but I have a weird address that has special characters and their prequal app wouldn't let me use special characters. Wonder if it may have been an address mismatch.  I'm just kind of discouraged because I have worked so hard on my credit. I own my home and have had completely on time payments for that, I have a car payment that is completely on time, as well as a Kohl's charge that has always been paid on time. I have no collection accounts or late payments at all, but I do have an old dismissed chapter 7 bankruptcy from like 5 or 6 years ago (I cancelled it choosing to pay off my debts instead.) I also have good income. Why am I unapprovable? 

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.