Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma vs myFICO flip...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Karma vs myFICO flip...

WOW!

Since I signed up for myFICO in late January my CK scores were always higher than my FICO8's until today. As my FICO's have climbed little by little my mt Ck scores have fallen and stagnated. I started with Ck scores about 100pts higher and today they are over 30pts lower for TU and about 10 for EQ.

I had always wondered if a thicker file had any effect on CK scores because so many people with more CL's seemed to report lower CK scores than FICO's while mine (and many others) were just the opposite.

Any Thoughts???

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Karma vs myFICO flip...

Im really confused by CK right now. My CK TU score has always been between 40-90 pts below my fico8 scores. EQ pretty close to the same between the two. Yesterday my CK TU score jumped 85 pts & EQ 75! I have yet to see my fico score jump tho....idk what to think.
Message 2 of 14
Kikimin
New Contributor

My CK scores are generally 70-90 points lower than my FICO8 scores.  I don't have a very robust credit file.  3CC's and my student loan.

My FICO8 as of 4/1/16 EQ: 544 TU: 586 EX: 599
Starting FICO8 3/11/16 EQ:539 TU:593 EX:580
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm under the impression that inquiries weigh more into their score than FICO8. And it seems like average age means more to them as well. So if you're applying & opening cards, your score on CK suffers. The only time my score improves on there is when 1) collections update, 2) util decreases according to their scale or 3) accounts are added.

Example, my last update for EQ on CK was a 20 point increase when a collection was removed. And my last TU update was a decrease after I had applied for Amazon, Walmart & Barclays.

Message 4 of 14
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Credit Karma?  What's that?

Oh.... that score that doesn't mean anything... like with Credit Sesame and other similar sites.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I personally do not log in to CK due to them using a Vantage 3 scoring model. CK has my scores 120 points lower than FICO. I guess it could have its advantages such as being free, but I prefer to pay for my real scores each month.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use CK to keep an eye on our TU and EQ reports weekly. But I don't really pay attention to the scores, but if they change I'll look to see what changed but don't worry about it if I can't find anything
Message 7 of 14
NattyPButter
Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

Credit Karma?  What's that?

Oh.... that score that doesn't mean anything... like with Credit Sesame and other similar sites.

means nothing until you run into a lender that actually uses it. 

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm under the impression that inquiries weigh more into their score than FICO8. And it seems like average age means more to them as well. So if you're applying & opening cards, your score on CK suffers. The only time my score improves on there is when 1) collections update, 2) util decreases according to their scale or 3) accounts are added.

Example, my last update for EQ on CK was a 20 point increase when a collection was removed. And my last TU update was a decrease after I had applied for Amazon, Walmart & Barclays.

You might be on to something there. My CK scores were at their highest when I first started down the rebuild road. My credit was in the toilet but they were in the 700's. Once I began to app and get new credit they started slipping and my AAoA says I have 0yrs 4mths of history although in reality it more like 2yrs (would be higher but I've opened more credit accts than I ever had in the past).

I was like "WOW, my credit is golden! I should go out and buy a house, boat, truck and take lavish vacations. NOT!) But I couldn't figure out why they were so high when I knew the reality was something quite different. Then I got CCT and myFICO and reality set in. I instinctively knew these were right and started work on repairing the damage. Now my FICO's are respectable and I'm thankful for that.

Now I only watch CK as a novelty and it does catch some things before others do so I know they are coming. I wanted to set up something for newbies to understand how having a true picture of your scores is invaluable and not to rely on the CS's and CK's that are free.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I personally do not log in to CK due to them using a Vantage 3 scoring model. CK has my scores 120 points lower than FICO. I guess it could have its advantages such as being free, but I prefer to pay for my real scores each month.

Hmmmm, that is incongruous. LOL! How would you know then???

Ha, ha. Just a poke in the eye MEKWT.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.