Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Lawyer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Lawyer

Has anyone used a credit lawyer to settle and delete 1 charge off with success? If so, did you pay the balance first? Not sure if this is legit. Help!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit Lawyer

Is their some legal error in the reporting of the debt as having been charged-off, or are you seeking some general legal way of requiring deletion of accurate reporting?

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

No errors, I have admitted to the debt and even made a payment arrangement with the debt collector.
Message 3 of 12
2IMPROVE
Regular Contributor

They are not able to do anything you can do for yourself.  Please read through the forum and you will get a wealth of information.

Message 4 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The standard procedure for attempting removal of legit derogs or accounts is to send them a pay for deletion offer.

If they accept the offer and you then pay, you have a legit contract that commits them to report deletion of the agreed information/account.

That is a simple negotiation that does not require a lawyer, as there are no legal issues other than their acceptance or rejection of your offer.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I have searched and learned a lot. My husband is very adamant that a lawyer can get results quicker. I was just wondering is anyone else has had success using a lawyer. Thanks!
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spoke to the debt collector today and requested a pay for delete and he acted like he had no idea what I was talking about, put me on hold, then said they don't do that because they do not report to the bureau, they report back to Synchrony. I asked Synchrony about pay for delete and she said that Synchrony does not do that. However, I read on one of these forums, that someone did have success, so I will be sending out a certified letter tomorrow. My husband wants this taken care of asap and thinks a lawyer will have quicker results.
Message 7 of 12
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I spoke to the debt collector today and requested a pay for delete and he acted like he had no idea what I was talking about, put me on hold, then said they don't do that because they do not report to the bureau, they report back to Synchrony. I asked Synchrony about pay for delete and she said that Synchrony does not do that. However, I read on one of these forums, that someone did have success, so I will be sending out a certified letter tomorrow. My husband wants this taken care of asap and thinks a lawyer will have quicker results.

how old is the collection? you can pay it but its no guantee they will remove it. Also some times paying it doesnt improve your score just looks better in the end that you dont have oustanding debt

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just went to collections this past month. Just rebuilt our credit and let this one slip past me, thinking I had more time. Now it's ruined. Desperately trying to do anything to fix it.
Message 9 of 12
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

You can do it yourself it will be okay just be patient and you can negotiate on your own without the fees from a lawyer

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.