cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Management LP PFD to DV (Noob Mistake)

tag
SinkOrSwim
Established Member

Credit Management LP PFD to DV (Noob Mistake)

So Credit Management picked up an old cable account back in 2011. I noticed they had a balance of $375 on my credit reports. I was so anxious to rebuild my credit and get rid of all debts, I didn't thoroghly research for the best options and ways to go about handling my collections/debt. So I read the thread about PFD and thought "perfect!, I'll offer to PIF, with deletion in return."  So I did just that, and they replied a few days later stating that I only owe $182, and that they're willing to PFD for the $182.

I then LATER, read that it's best to just try and go through the OC to see if they'd pull the collection account and accept PFD. So I contacted the OC and they said my balance was $125. So I offered to pay that for deletion of  the collection account. The OC agreed, and has yet to do so, it's been about a month. Unfortunately I have nothing in writing, since this was an agreement by phone. Since then I sent the CA (Credit Management LP) a DV for the $375.

I went through all this in a matter of about 3 weeks, and feel that it could've went much smoother. Hindsight 20/20 I guess.

What do you guys suppose will happen with the DV to the CA, since the balance was PIF to the OC?

Starting Score: 602 (03/08/14)
Current Score: 629 (04/16/14)
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit Management LP PFD to DV (Noob Mistake)

The OC has no authority either to delete the reporting made by a debt collector, or require them to do so.

Thus, I dont view the PFD promise by the OC to be binding on the debt collector.  They can request the debt collector to delete, but if the debt collector shoses not to, there is no basis for holding an agreement with another to be a biding contract obligation on the debt collector.

the only "requiremnt" for deletion would be if the OC terminaated the collection authority of hte debt collector prior to payment of the debt, thus requiring the debt collector to delete their reporting per CRA policy that teminated collections with unpaid debt should be deleted.

If they still had collection authority when paid, the CRA has the opposite policy that reporting should not be deleted based on payment of the debt.

The debt collector now has no reason to provide validation in response to the DV.  Sending the DV, presuming it was timely, would have placed the debt collector under a cease collection bar.  With the debt now satisfied, they have no debt upon which to conduct any furrther collection, so lifting the collection bar would be of no further concern.  In the unlikely event that they were to respond, they could simply state that the debt has been determined to have been valid, and its current balance is $0.  A pro-forma response. 

Message 2 of 3
SinkOrSwim
Established Member

Re: Credit Management LP PFD to DV (Noob Mistake)

So in other words I'm screwed.Smiley Sad

I guess once my CR is updated, I'll attempt to goodwill cmigroup

Starting Score: 602 (03/08/14)
Current Score: 629 (04/16/14)
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.