Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Rebuild

tag
GBguy
New Contributor

Credit Rebuild

My Bk was filed in June and discharged in September of this year.  I applied and qualified for the minimum deposit on the capital one secured card. ($49) I have a $200 dollar credit limit on that card and have been charging 20 dollars and paying it off in full every month.  During my BK i let my car go due to still oweing 8k on it so i dont currently have any installment loans helping my creditthe only thing that i have is the C1 card. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what i should do to take the next step to help my credit score keep climbing.  Is there anything that i can do to make it climb faster?  Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.  Thanks in advance! 

Chapter 7 Discharge 9/2013
FICO scores as of 1.27.14
Eq- 574
Ex- 629
Tu- 612
Cap 1 Secured ($49 Dep - 200 Limit) Reporting since Nov 2013
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Rebuild

Congratulations. Search and read some of the threads on the topic of rebuilding credit. This forum has as many tips/suggestions as you can handle. The question that you asked is asked on a regular basis. Happy reading and do post specific questions if you have any as you read the wonderful material that folks have posted in this forum to help answer your question.

Message 2 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@GBguy wrote:

My Bk was filed in June and discharged in September of this year.  I applied and qualified for the minimum deposit on the capital one secured card. ($49) I have a $200 dollar credit limit on that card and have been charging 20 dollars and paying it off in full every month.  During my BK i let my car go due to still oweing 8k on it so i dont currently have any installment loans helping my creditthe only thing that i have is the C1 card. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what i should do to take the next step to help my credit score keep climbing.  Is there anything that i can do to make it climb faster?  Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.  Thanks in advance! 

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your approval.  If you can qualify a second secured credit card, that would be ideal.  Check with your local CU or try SDFCU.  Barclays is another lender but I would try them in 4-6 mos.

Time is going to be your friend now, the bk was recent so your CR's will need time to recover. 

Message 3 of 11
GBguy
New Contributor

I have looked at several other credit card options and the ones I thought I would have a shot with, dont offer to wisconsin residents. Go figure. I think one was called credit one and another i cannot remember. Anyways has anyone had luck with SDFCU? They show a secured card that doesn't require a credit check? Does it report to the 3 CB's? If so, will it report as a "secured card?" I will also check with my credit union. They have been good to me and have taken chances with me in the past. Do secured loans do anything for credit?
Chapter 7 Discharge 9/2013
FICO scores as of 1.27.14
Eq- 574
Ex- 629
Tu- 612
Cap 1 Secured ($49 Dep - 200 Limit) Reporting since Nov 2013
Message 4 of 11
credit-hunter
Frequent Contributor

Most secured cards report as unsecured there are very few that don't

Open Sky Card has no credit check and bk friendly

Message 5 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@credit-hunter wrote:

Most secured cards report as secured there are very few that don't

Open Sky Card has no credit check and bk friendly

Most secured cards report as a normal CC.  There are only one or 2 that report as secured.

Message 6 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

A secured CC is just as good as a regular non-secured card.  FICO scores them exactly the same.

Message 7 of 11
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Guiness hey thre long time no talk.  Just wondering if you or any one else can give input into the cc that Do report as secured? Anyone have a 

it's either reporting or not.  I only know cap 1 1st prime r and credit one.

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 8 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 9 of 11
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the infoSmiley Tongue

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.