Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Repair Organizations

tag
EW8000

Credit Repair Organizations

Hi,  

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with credit repair companies, or know how they typically work.  I am refering to companies such as creditrepair.com, Lexington Law, Sky Blue and others.  From what I am reading, it sound like there method is to challenge the validity of baddies, I assume in hopes that they cannot be validated and then are removed.  Would this corerct?  

I am just wondering if anyone has ever had any good experiences with these types of companies?

Thanks!  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
polno1234
Contributor

Re: Credit Repair Organizations

if you don't have the 5 mins to do it youself and are willing to pay exorbatant fees. then good to go. they have no better success rate than these forums do. i would say less success cause i dont think they write gw letters for you. they basically just keep disputing on your behalf. opinions very though and there are a few who have had success with them. do a search on here for lexington law. it will pop up.

Current MERRICK SECURED-$200 EMBLEM MC-$250 EXPRESS NEXT-$350
In the garden till 10/9/14
Fico 8 start 02/15/13 488
Current TU Fico 8 641, EX 734 EQ 740
Goal 650 by 02/15/15
Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In general, they dont usually offer much in the way of disputing, they usually offer sending out a barrage of GW letters.

In order to file a valid dispute, they must include documentation of an asserted inaccuracy of the information under dispute.

A dispute cannot simply state that validation is requested, and thus shift the burden to the furnisher.

That basis must come from the consumer.  Once you have provided that, it is just as simple to file the dispute yourself.

Additionally, credit repair organizations cannot use the direct dispute process.  They are barred from the direct dispute process under FCRA 623(a)(8), and the implementing rules for the direct dispute process additionally permit the furnisher to summarily dismiss any direct dispute that shows any indication of assistance in its preparation by a CRO.  That includes smply using a form provided by a CRO.

Message 3 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

In general, they dont usually offer much in the way of disputing, they usually offer sending out a barrage of GW letters.

In order to file a valid dispute, they must include documentation of an asserted inaccuracy of the information under dispute.

A dispute cannot simply state that validation is requested, and thus shift the burden to the furnisher.

That basis must come from the consumer.  Once you have provided that, it is just as simple to file the dispute yourself.

Additionally, credit repair organizations cannot use the direct dispute process.  They are barred from the direct dispute process under FCRA 623(a)(8), and the implementing rules for the direct dispute process additionally permit the furnisher to summarily dismiss any direct dispute that shows any indication of assistance in its preparation by a CRO.  That includes smply using a form provided by a CRO.

+1 RobertEG

What they can't do (credit rep org)

You can do for yourself free here 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 7
polno1234
Contributor

i apologize for having it backwardsSmiley Happy anyway still worthless imho.someone should make a stickie for this since it comes up once a week.

Current MERRICK SECURED-$200 EMBLEM MC-$250 EXPRESS NEXT-$350
In the garden till 10/9/14
Fico 8 start 02/15/13 488
Current TU Fico 8 641, EX 734 EQ 740
Goal 650 by 02/15/15
Message 5 of 7
joeyoey
Frequent Contributor

I've only seriously been at this about 2 months but just with letters/calls to old creditors and disputes I've managed to get my scores up about 40 points so far.  I still have a long way to go but from what I've read here & elsewhere, there's not much of anything these credit repair places can do that you can't do for yourself.  Set aside a little time each week for writing letters & keep a close check on your reports and you'll do just as good (& probably better) than these places.

Starting Score (02/01/2014): EQ 548 EX 548 TU 564
Current/Most Recent FICO Score (4/01/2015): EQ 686 EX 668 TU 669
Nov 1, 2015 Goal: 700 Across all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

test

Message 6 of 7
Sonic98
New Contributor

@EW8000 wrote:

Hi,  

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with credit repair companies, or know how they typically work.  I am refering to companies such as creditrepair.com, Lexington Law, Sky Blue and others.  From what I am reading, it sound like there method is to challenge the validity of baddies, I assume in hopes that they cannot be validated and then are removed.  Would this corerct?  

I am just wondering if anyone has ever had any good experiences with these types of companies?

Thanks!  

I've seen some people have some success with Sky Blue. I was hoping people had some stories on some of the others. I found a list, but most people here haven't used them. I trust people's accounts here more than on other websites. Here is the list, but like I said, other than Sky Blue, I've never spoken to anyone else on here about the companies. I think a lot of people have said that Lexington is somewhat of a mixed bag. I remember one told me once they knew a "trick" to help  get my student loans off with I had been late on a handful of times, but I didn't want to risk wasting money.

MODCUT to remove links to credit repair sites.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.