Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Repair (Please Help)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Repair (Please Help)

I need help. I am currently in Iraq and I made up a game plan to pay off and build my credit. Well I have everything payed except my student loans which I am now making monthly payment. My EQ score is 515. Now I'm trying to build my credit a little faster. Since my score is so low I won't be able to get a credit card unless its sucure card. I have no home and no car when I come ack from Iraq and I really don't know what to do. With a low credit score I won't even be able to get a house or an appartment. But I make decent money in the Military. Is there any way I can get my score up and if so can someone please help me.

Message Edited by GWHilliard7 on 07-23-2008 10:53 AM
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
southernficoaddict
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Repair (Please Help)

Welcome GW!!!  First let me say on behalf of everyone (I'm sure)  THANK YOU for everything that you do!! 

If you would list some of the negatives on your report that is bringing your score down I'm sure these wonderful people can help you out.  I don't know if I can cause I'm still learning myself, but I will sure try.  Have you looked at your reports yet?
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. Well I have 2 student loans for a total of $8,963. The other stuff on my credit I have paid but the credit companies are going to keep reporting it for 7 years. I have a total of 12 accounts that show on my report and 6 of them are my students loans. Now I have disuted everything and I have gotten all the results back. Something will not go away. So only thing I have left is my student loans which I'm making payments. So now I just need to build my credit.
Message 3 of 15
southernficoaddict
Frequent Contributor

What are the other things for?  There are other ways to get things removed rather than by dispute.  I have no idea about the student loans but I know somebody here can help you with that.  Just because things were verified doesn't mean they have to stay on there for 7 years.  If you can get some of these things removed or even some of the recent lates removed your score would probably go up enough to get an unsecured card.  You definitly ned some open current accounts if you don't have any.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

As Southern said (she's such a sweetie and a half!!) ... THANK you!!

What exactly are your uglies AND did you incur any BEFORE you were deployed??? Depending on your situation (the baddies) the Servicemember's Relief Act might help you with getting them off your reports.

But we'd need to know more about the uglies you have in order to put our magic Google fingers to work for you!!
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

1 CA for an appartment balance is $0
1 CA for SBC balance is $0
 Then I have my student loans. Which shows 6 times. Thats it. Everything else I disputed and it was removed. So I have nothing else that I owe. I have a few thousand in savings but no revolving credit and no credit cards. I also read about piggy backing but I don't know anyone willing enough to let me ride on their credit. I know alot of people say not to do it but I think its my only chance to get a break. I never realized how much credit is needed until I hit rock bottom. So now I'm trying to fix my finances and make my money work for me. But I need my credit score alot higher than what it is now.

TU: 492 EX:498 EQ:515
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I still don't see, from just a couple of collections and some SLs, what would give you a 515!!! Did you get your scores from HERE or are you using FAKOs (scores sold at, say, TrueCredit.com)??

Were you late on your SLs? How old are the collections??

Good news for you, though. If you have $2K you can "spend," you can take that $$ and put it on a secured credit card. Bank of America, from what I've been told, is the best. It will unsecure (also known as "graduate") to an UNSECURED PRIME credit card in 9-12 months. And of course, they release your original funds back to you. Some cards even offer to put the funds in a CD account -- which will earn you some nice interest.

Meaning, if you have a 515 NOW, when that card (or you can get two -- get a second with another company) graduates, you'd be looking at least a 100-200 points rise!!
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well these accounts I have had for a long time. About 2 years and they happened before I got deployed. The service member act doesn't help my in this situation. I just talked to the people who have my student loan and they said that I have to keep paying for 9 months before they let me refinance and remove it from my credit report. So I'm just trying to build my credit status a little faster. I won't be able to get an unsucure card so I'm just trying to find a different rout.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Meanwhile, if the collections are recent, send them Goodwill letters asking them to please, please, please delete the tradeline from your CRs.

Since you're risking your neck for our freedom, I'd mention to them that you're doing so. I think it's the least you deserve!!
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would you happen to have a copy of a goodwill letter that I can send to the CA.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.