cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score Increase - Should I close my 2 oldest cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Score Increase - Should I close my 2 oldest cards?

Hello all!

I currently sit at a comfortable 740 with a broad portfolio of cards. I started with a 530 score in 2015/2016

(Ranged from oldest to newest)

!- Capital One Secured Platinum (MC): CL $506 (one 30-day late payment from 2016)
!- Bank of America Platinum (Bankofamericard VISA): CL $800 (one 30-day late payment from 2016)

- Capital One QuickSilver One Platinum (MC): CL $500 (Recently bumped up automatically from $300 CL)

- Petal Card (VISA): CL $2,000

- Chase Starbucks Rewards (VISA): CL $2,500 (Recently bumped up automatically from $1,500 CL)

- AMEX Gold (Rose Gold Special): No pre-set spending limit (charged up to $6k in one month, always paid in full)

- Chase Sapphire Preferred (VISA Signature): CL $9,000

* Utilization across the board is less than 2%. I always pay balances in full.

My question is, the main factor hurting my score is the 2 30-day late payments on my 2 oldest cards. If I close those accounts my average account age and my oldest account age would be affected, but getting rid of those 2 late payments is a good thing... any thoughts?

Interesting situation, I was out of the country on a mission trip with my church.. came back after a 2 months and got those 2 late payments (just netflix and another service). Proceeded to pay in full everything when I got back to the country...

Should I try to call Capital One and BofA, or should I email them? Any tips on goodwill requests?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
rbentley
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Score Increase - Should I close my 2 oldest cards?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all!

My question is, the main factor hurting my score is the 2 30-day late payments on my 2 oldest cards. If I close those accounts my average account age and my oldest account age would be affected, but getting rid of those 2 late payments is a good thing... any thoughts?

Interesting situation, I was out of the country on a mission trip with my church.. came back after a 2 months and got those 2 late payments (just netflix and another service). Proceeded to pay in full everything when I got back to the country...

Should I try to call Capital One and BofA, or should I email them? Any tips on goodwill requests?

Closing accounts does not remove them from your credit reports, nor will it effect your AAoA.  They will remain for up to 10 years, although negative information such as your two 30 day lates will removed after 7 years from their date of delinuency.  Closing the account does not remove the lates.  Goodwill requests are your best bet.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.