cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score at a stand still...it HIT A BRICK WALL.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Score at a stand still...it HIT A BRICK WALL.

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is having a pleasant day!

My score has hit a standstill... I began rebuilding in 2016 when I started a new job and after moving to a new state. I went from 525 (vantage+fico) to 705TU 695EX and 675EQ (last summer). My vantage and fico dropped to around 665 across the board when I began car shopping in 11/2018 and has not budged. Yesterday I went for my 6 mo. cli with Cap1 QS and was only offered $500; my last increase was $3500... at this point I'm unsure what to do next. I have no plan to pay off my repo and I am open to a pay for deletion with Sprint. End goal is a mortgage some time this year and I really want to shake the 600 club prior to that. What more can I/should I do?

LINES:

CAP1 QS: $5800/$1500 usage

CAP1 QS1: $2800/$1000 usage

Discover IT: $1100/$300 usage

WAYFAIR Store Card: $6800/$0 usage

ULTA Store Card: $150/$0 usage

Forever 21 Store Card: $150/$80 usage

CAP1 Auto loan 02/2019

BADDIES:

Vehicle Repo charge off 09/2014

Sprint collection 05/2016

Cap 1 late payments in 2016

4 REPLIES 4
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Score at a stand still...it HIT A BRICK WALL.

Hello, MyFutureHome, Welcome to the forums. 

Fastest / easiest way to boost your score is to pay down your debt; your current utilization is not terribly high but considering the derogatory items still reporting, you need to optimize wherever you can, and for you - that means always keeping your util ultra low.

Your aggregate util (total balances / total credit limit) is  ~17%  ($2880 / $16,800) -- you should keep aggregate below 8.9% of your total credit limit, which would be below $1495 for optimal scoring. 

LINES:

CAP1 QS: $5800/$1500 usage  / 25.8% util

CAP1 QS1: $2800/$1000 usage / 35.7% util

Discover IT: $1100/$300 usage /  27% util

WAYFAIR Store Card: $6800/$0 usage

ULTA Store Card: $150/$0 usage

Forever 21 Store Card: $150/$80 usage / 53% util

Individual card util should be kept below 28.9%.   The utilization thresholds, , both individual and aggregate, are as follows (red is too high):

• 8.9%, 28.9%, 48.9%, 68.9%, 88.9%

Also, you have 4/6 (66%) cards reporting a balance and FICO scores -- especially FICO mortgage scores - can be quite sensitive to this.  You should have no more than 1/3 (33%) of your cards reporting a (<28.9%) balance - so, for you, 2 cards.   Whenever you get ready to app for something, reduce the number of cards reporting a balance from 2 to 1 to potentially squeeze out a few extra points.  

If you are able to lower your reported util you should see an immediate boost in score.  From there, work on getting that Sprint collection removed - search the forums for Sprint (or the name of the collection agency handling the account) PFD to find out if / how others have had success.    Those Cap One late payments will also continue to hurt your scores so you should start a goodwill campaign to have them removed -- success in that area with Cap One is hit or miss, but it's certainly worth a shot.   

Good Luck!

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, Thank you for your reply. I plan to get the balances down very soon perhaps in a few chunks, I figured they were affecting me but I didn't think it was that bad. I sent one goodwill letter certified to Cap1 almost 1 year ago. Explained my move and lack of employment but they did not bite. Is it a good idea to try once more since more time has passed? The Sprint account has been with DCI aka Diversified Consultants and they have been uncooperative in my attempts to verify the debt prior to moving forward. I considered reaching out to the bureaus directly to inform them that DCI has not verified the debt belongs to me but these things are tedious so I've procrastinated about it..
Message 3 of 5
thornback
Senior Contributor

Yes - your current util could be costing you 15-20+ points. 

Yes - continue a Goodwill campaign for Cap One.   Patience & Persistance...     Read this post for a step-by-step Goodwill campaign (aka "Saturation Technique): https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/The-Saturation-Technique-Best-GW-adjustment-....   

Some folks have Goodwill luck after the 1st try, others receive a massive amount of rejections prior to receiving that one "yes".    

Sprint probably still owns that debt and only assigned collection activity to DCI (that's how they usually work)...   below is a link to a thread you should read - DCI appears to be difficult to work with directly so it seems your best bet is to contact Sprint, ask them to terminate DCI's collection authority so you can then the debt directly to Sprint.  Collection authority must be terminated prior to your paying Sprint directly -- without collection authority, DCI will have to delete the account from the bureaus:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Diversified-Consultants-Sprint-Deleting-a-Pa...

It's time to stop procrastinating.  If you're serious about rebuilding, you're going to have to put in the work..  I know it's tedious and frustrating, and sometimes disappointing -- but I promise, it is so worth it all when you're successful.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your words of encouragement & the references, they have been most helpful.. It gets discouraging trying to convince lenders that you have grown from your mistakes, but you made excellent points, so Cap1 will definitely hear from me again soon! I haven't had a late payment in 3 years, I'm hoping they give a darn lol.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.