Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score just hovering!!!

tag
Amiashu12
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit Score just hovering!!!

I really appreciate the help here. What I would like to understand is, let's say I get an ssl through Penfed for $2500 for 60 months. Why do I pay down <9% and make monthly $25 payment VS. just pay about $70 a month for 36 months?  Thanks

Message 11 of 17
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Amiashu12 wrote:

I really appreciate the help here. What I would like to understand is, let's say I get an ssl through Penfed for $2500 for 60 months. Why do I pay down <9% and make monthly $25 payment VS. just pay about $70 a month for 36 months?  Thanks

A few points:

• The $25 minimum is the calculated payment based upon SSL amount and loan term; it does not mean you need to pay at least $25 per month.
  • If you prepay the loan down under 9%, then your next payment is pushed forward months, or even years (depending upon what you paid).  Said another way, there will be no $25 per month payment due.
  • If you pay it down to under 9% you get the maximum FICO boost in your scores.
I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 12 of 17
Amiashu12
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your help again. I talked to couple of CU and they all told me that if I pay my loan down under 9% then my duration of the loan will be shorten. Would that be ok? Which questions should I be asking when I call them back? Thanks. 

Message 13 of 17
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Amiashu12 wrote:

Thanks for your help again. I talked to couple of CU and they all told me that if I pay my loan down under 9% then my duration of the loan will be shorten. Would that be ok? Which questions should I be asking when I call them back? Thanks. 

PenFed doesn't work that way, the duration of the loan remains unchanged and the next payment gets pushed way out.

Message 14 of 17
Amiashu12
Regular Contributor

Thanks again. Here's another question. I called my credit union and they do offer ssl. However, they only report to Equifax. Would this help at all? And, let's say if I do $1000 ssl for 2 years and make payments on time, will this boost credit score?  Thanks. 

Message 15 of 17
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Amiashu12 wrote:

Thanks again. Here's another question. I called my credit union and they do offer ssl. However, they only report to Equifax. Would this help at all? And, let's say if I do $1000 ssl for 2 years and make payments on time, will this boost credit score?  Thanks. 

It will help your Equifax scores, it won't do diddly for your Experian or your TransUnion scores.

Message 16 of 17
Amiashu12
Regular Contributor

Thanks. What if I go with Self Lender? Will that help? Also, Is there anyway to remove late payments prior to filing chap 7? My lawyer told me to stop making payments 1 month prior to filing and now they are the only beddies besides chap 7. Thanks

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.