cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score just went down?!

tag
Efour

Credit Score just went down?!

My credit score just dropped from 623 to 617 after my balance on my credit card went from $60.00 to $0.00 reported. Why would this be the case? 

Equifax (My Fico): 608 as of 4MAR2014 (Starting)

5k NFCU goCash VISA
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
IamB2
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Score just went down?!

@Efour wrote:

My credit score just dropped from 623 to 617 after my balance on my credit card went from $60.00 to $0.00 reported. Why would this be the case? 

which score is this? Is it your FICO or FACO?

Also, it is possible that if all credit cards report a $0 balance, that shows no usage of credit at all and may be a negative thing. Do you have any other cards that may be reporting a small balance? Ideal FICO score seems to be allowing one card to report between 1-9% while all others reporting $0 balance. But at least ONE has to report a small balance.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 2 of 8
Cookie2120987
Frequent Contributor

What IamB2 said is correct, if no balance reports for any cards than you actually do more harm than good, same with having every card report a small small balance (not quite sure why this does damage but that's what I was told and read)
Message 3 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Efour wrote:

If thats a Fico and you have no revolving balances reporting at all it gets scored at the 30% util level, leave a few dollars on 1 card to report to the CRAs.

Message 4 of 8
steppy
Established Member

I thought you were supposed to have a balance of under 9% on each card. I only have three cards and they are all very new. Should I be leaving 0 balance on 2 of them.

Message 5 of 8
GooseGirl
Contributor

For best FICO score results you should have 2 of the 3 report 0 balances and the 3rd report 9% or less. Keep in mind though that utiliziation isn't something that FICO remembers and so if you aren't planning on apping for anything right now you can have your cards report with different %s.  

Starting Score: EQ 541 (lender pull July 2012)
Current Score: EQ FICO 673, TU08 648, EX FICO 654
Next Goal Score: 680
Message 6 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@steppy wrote:

I thought you were supposed to have a balance of under 9% on each card. I only have three cards and they are all very new. Should I be leaving 0 balance on 2 of them.

No, No, its balance on 1 card of 9% or below, if you let all cards report a a balance even if its only a buck you would be dinged by Fico pretty good as that is also a scoring metric in which you will lose points for each additional card that reports a balance.

Message 7 of 8
steppy
Established Member

Thank you so much for the help. So can you charge on the other 2 cards and pay in full as long as you have 0 balance when reporting? The reason I am asking is I am hoping to get credit line increase by using the cards. I really am greatful for all the helpful information I have recieved from this forum. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.