Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit report late based on missed annual fee

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit report late based on missed annual fee

Hi - I had a US bank credit card which I had honestly forgotten about, and it was pointing at a bank account which was no longer open. When the annual fee hit, the payment got returned, and I was hit with fees. I unfortunately didn't notice until after 30 days, at which point I paid. Unfortunately this put a 30-day late on my account. I know this won't amount to much after 6 months to a year, but for now it has caused my other credit limits to be slashed, increasing my utilization percentage, causing even more cards to slash my limit, sending my credit score into a death spiral. I'm making great progress paying off my cards, but this has set back my plans to refinance my debt and save some money in the meantime.

Unfortunately, it being US Bank, there's pretty much no chance of a goodwill removal. My question: I have been told that non-payment of annual and other fees can't be reported to the credit bureaus (at least in some states). Is this true, and if so, is this true in Massachusetts? Or is there any other avenue I can take?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Credit report late based on missed annual fee

Sorry to hear that this happened, but I don't know of any laws which preclude creditors from reporting late payments of fees vs other balances.

I'd still make attemps with USB for goodwill, especially if this was your only late payment with them.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

It actually randomly disappeared off my credit report before I had a chance to ask them. Very strange. Not going to investiage.

Message 3 of 4
Ontherise2020
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous I'm glad it dropped off your report.  This almost happended to me as well where I received an annual fee on a card that I don't use anymore.  What I have been committing myself to do so that I do not miss any payments, is go through ALL my CC's that I have the day before I get paid and check balances and fees.  I don't want to miss any payments/fees and doing this routine ensures that.  It may be tedious BUT I won't miss those pesky fees. 

FICO Scores:
EX 715
TU 750
EQ 739
FICO 9 773
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.