Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score wont move --stays between 642-647

tag
msanyell
Established Member

Credit score wont move --stays between 642-647

MY credit seems to be stuck between 642 and 647 since May 2008. I used my credit cards and paid them off and I have not requested any credit since June 2008.

Is it something I can do to help this score move up or will only time help?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit score wont move --stays between 642-647

What is your UT? What else is on your CR that could be affecting it?
Message 2 of 8
cadavis0609
Frequent Contributor

You need to offer up your full credit picture including what accounts you have, whats your credit mix? what are your cards limits?  What is the uti on those cards, any installment loans, late payments, etc.
The folks around here will be able to give you a much better idea if you pain a better picture.
Sept 07 EQ 419

April 2012 EQ- 669 EXP- 680 TU-700= Proud New Homeowner!
Message 3 of 8
Tons_of_Debt
Established Contributor

It's not good just to let credit sit... you should be using once every month or once every other month, make sure the statement hits with less than 10% utilization
08/01/2008 - 472 EQ; 523 TU; 454 EX
03/01/2009 - 574 EQ
08/08/2009 - 648 EQ
01/27/2010 - 671 EQ
07/04/2010 - 713 EQ
01/05/2011 - 730 EQ
05/14/16 - 762 EX
Message 4 of 8
JShidell
Frequent Contributor

Tons_of_Debt wrote:
It's not good just to let credit sit... you should be using once every month or once every other month, make sure the statement hits with less than 10% utilization

Question:  Why is it not good to let credit sit?

Besides the fact that some companies might close or lower cl's.

Is it that FICO likes to see 1-9% UTL not 0% UTL?

I don't plan on using my credit unless I seriously need to.  I'm to afraid to use credit now (you never know, especially how the economy is nowadays) and I only plan to use credit during emergencies if need be.

I only basically need credit for rebuilding not for use.

v/r
JShidell

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, that part of your score is based upon the responsible use of credit. If you have no usage with which to weigh your responsible use, you'll take a hit. I can more than understand your concern, though. In these uncertain times, you definitely don't want to be digging yourself in to debt. But, you can make your available credit work in your favor, and protect your purchases.

I think of it this way; I have monthly living expenses that I have to pay, no matter what (house, car, insurance premiums, utilities, etc...) I run those those through my BoA card and PIF. I also have Worldpoint rewards, so I get perks! The card gets usage, it's paid on time, in full, and I get points as an added bonus. And, there's always a paper trail that can't be denied. Most importantly, I can demonstrate that I can and do use credit responsibly, pay on time, and am at low risk to max out my cards without the ability to pay.

JShidell wrote:

Tons_of_Debt wrote:

Question:  Why is it not good to let credit sit?

Besides the fact that some companies might close or lower cl's.

Is it that FICO likes to see 1-9% UTL not 0% UTL?

I don't plan on using my credit unless I seriously need to.  I'm to afraid to use credit now (you never know, especially how the economy is nowadays) and I only plan to use credit during emergencies if need be.

I only basically need credit for rebuilding not for use.

v/r
JShidell

Message 6 of 8
JShidell
Frequent Contributor

See that is what i'm not understanding.  People often say PIF, in which I totally agree. 

What I don't understand is what is the difference (besides what you mentioned as paper trail) between Paying In Full to not using your credit at all? It will still show a 0 balance in the end correct?

Correct me if i'm wrong but FICO does not care if you use your credit or not, they don't track how often you use it.  They just calculate how much credit you have against how much you have used, your utl.  So if you use your credit, PIF before the companies report its going to reflect a 0 balance.

Maybe i'm looking at it all the wrong way.  But to me paying in full on an account to reflect a 0 balance is pretty much the same as not using your credit and showing a 0 balance.  As far as scoring goes, am I looking at this wrong?

I guess the underlying question is, would FICO rather see a small utilization rather then a 0 utilization?

I guess I can test this out by using the score simulator.

v/r
JShidell
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you look at your CRs directly from the CRAs (vs. myfico version) you should see more detail about your usage. I'm not exactly sure how (or even if) that information is used in the FairIsaac calculations, but I think it must play some part, because people have reported score impacts from using "previously dormant cards".

The other thing is the actual utilization. If you allow a small balance to report on one card (say, 1-3%), then PIF, you should see a score boost. What I do is pay all but a small amount on my BoA card ahead of the statement cutting. After it reports that small balance, I PIF the very next day. I'll be rotating this around to different cards every other month or so.

JShidell wrote:
See that is what i'm not understanding.  People often say PIF, in which I totally agree. 

What I don't understand is what is the difference (besides what you mentioned as paper trail) between Paying In Full to not using your credit at all? It will still show a 0 balance in the end correct?

Correct me if i'm wrong but FICO does not care if you use your credit or not, they don't track how often you use it.  They just calculate how much credit you have against how much you have used, your utl.  So if you use your credit, PIF before the companies report its going to reflect a 0 balance.

Maybe i'm looking at it all the wrong way.  But to me paying in full on an account to reflect a 0 balance is pretty much the same as not using your credit and showing a 0 balance.  As far as scoring goes, am I looking at this wrong?

I guess the underlying question is, would FICO rather see a small utilization rather then a 0 utilization?

I guess I can test this out by using the score simulator.

v/r
JShidell

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.