cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISPUTE or let CAP ONE fix "in the next 90 days"?

tag
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

DISPUTE or let CAP ONE fix "in the next 90 days"?

Capital One messed up and hit me with a 30 days late. I called and they apologised said they corrected it and it will be fixed on my credit reports in 90 days. That was 1/20/13.

Today I had the idea of simply disputing it to speed up the process. Called CAp one and they said no don't do that. Just wait the time.

Well I'm going to be apartment searching then and I'll need my credit to be in regular top shape. Not 40 points down like it is now.

Dispute or wait?

thanks

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: DISPUTE or let CAP ONE fix "in the next 90 days"?

@JasonBourneOfCredit wrote:

Capital One messed up and hit me with a 30 days late. I called and they apologised said they corrected it and it will be fixed on my credit reports in 90 days. That was 1/20/13.

Today I had the idea of simply disputing it to speed up the process. Called CAp one and they said no don't do that. Just wait the time.

Well I'm going to be apartment searching then and I'll need my credit to be in regular top shape. Not 40 points down like it is now.

Dispute or wait?

thanks

Try asking Cap1 for a letter to the effect that it was a mistake and is being corrected, or contact the executive office for help in expediting.

Message 2 of 38
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

Any idea what the execuative office number is?

Message 3 of 38
js0319
Established Contributor

I would not suggest calling the EO. Look up the CEO's name on google, and you'll easily be able to find his email. Once you email, you should get a response very quickly. 

If they say it can take up to 90 days, that may be the time they're telling you just so they don't put out some unrealistic expectation. However, if it's holding you back and you need to apply for credit explain that in your email to the EO.

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 4 of 38
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

But you wouldnt just dispute it?

Message 5 of 38
p-
Valued Contributor

@js0319 wrote:

I would not suggest calling the EO. Look up the CEO's name on google, and you'll easily be able to find his email. Once you email, you should get a response very quickly. 

If they say it can take up to 90 days, that may be the time they're telling you just so they don't put out some unrealistic expectation. However, if it's holding you back and you need to apply for credit explain that in your email to the EO.

If you click the green card in my sig, and go to step 3, there is a google link to the CEO email.  You'll get a way better response with an email over a phone call.

Message 6 of 38
p-
Valued Contributor

@JasonBourneOfCredit wrote:

But you wouldnt just dispute it?

Disputes can be weird; if cap 1 hasn't fixed it at their end it may just auto-update, and it might drop that card out of scoring until the dispute is resolved.  Better get them to fix it if you can.

Message 7 of 38
guiness56
Epic Contributor

That was less than a month ago.  They may not have even reported it to the CRAs yet.  I think you should give them time.

Message 8 of 38
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

AT least EX has gotten it. Updated and my score dropped 40 points. I've never had a late before.

Message 9 of 38
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.