Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISPUTING OLD MEDICAL BILLS

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DISPUTING OLD MEDICAL BILLS

HI,

CAN I GET SOME HELP ON HOW TO DISPUTE SOME MEDICAL BILLS THAT ARE 7 YRS OLD. 2 OF THEM SAY CLOSED THE OTHER IS STILL MARKED AS OPEN.

I'VE SEEN SO MANY SAMPLE LETTERS IM NOW LOST AS TO HOW I NEED TO DO THIS. WITH THEM 7YRS OLD I WOULDNT WORRY ABOUT THEM OTHER THEN I JUST GOT OUT THE POLICE ACADEMY AND NOW LOOKING FOR EMPLOYMENT BUT AS YOU CAN GUESS ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT JOB YOU MUST HAVE A PRETTY CLEAN CREDIT HISTORY.

DO I CONTACT THE COLLECTIONS FIRST WITH A LETTER OR GO STRAIGHT TO THE 3 REPORTING AGENTS?

I WAS ALWAYS TOLD TO NEVER TALK OR EVEN LOOK AT A COLLECTIONS COMPANY BECAUSE IT WILL DO NOTHING BUT RESET THE CLOCK ON THE DEBTS.

CAN SOMEONE BE KIND ENOUGH TO KINDA LAYOUT A STEP BY STEP GUIDE ON WHAT I NEED TO DO WITH SAMPLES..

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: DISPUTING OLD MEDICAL BILLS

Any medical collection must become excluded from your credit report no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD on the account with the original creditor.  See FCRA 605(c).

The debt  collector is required under FCRA 623(a)(5) to obtain the DOFD and report it to the CRA no later than 90 days after they have reported their collection, so the DOFD should be of record in your credit file.

The first step is to obtain the reported DOFD.  Many commercial credit reports do not provide the reported DOFD, but rather provide an estimated exclusion date, which is usually provided by the CRA based on a 7 year period from the reported DOFD.

If, after obtaining the DOFD, you determine that more than 7 years plus 180 days has expired from that date, then simply contact the CRA and advise of their non-compliance with the strict exclusion requirment of FCRA 605(c).

However, after obtaining the DOFD, if you determine that the full 7 years plus 180 days has not expired, then you can contact the CRA and request an early exclusion.  The CRAs rountinely grant their own early exclusion at approx. 7 years from the DOFD.  If you wish an even earlier exclusion, you must contact the CRA and request their voluntary early exclusion.  The CRAs will normally not grant an additional early exclusion of any greater than 3-6 months.

Finally, if after obtaining the reported DOFD, you disagree with its accuracy, you can file a dispute of the accuracy of that reporting, along with your supporting documentation.

If you can establish an actual DOFD that is more than 7 years plus 180 days prior, then immediate credit report exclusion of the collection is then required.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

ROBERT,

THANKS FOR THE REPLY AND ADVICE. IT'S NOT AS OLD AS I THOUGHT, IT IS SAYING AUG 8 2011 - LEXINGTON LAW SAID THEY COULD GET THEM OFF WITH NO ISSUE BUT I JUST CANT SEE MYSELF PAYING THEM $99 A MONTH FOR SOMTHING I CAN DO MYSELF ONCE I FIND THE RIGHT DIRECTION AND THE RIGHT SAMPLE LETTERS TO SEND.

I'VE BEEN LOOKING ONLINE FOR ABOUT 2 MONTHS NOW BEFORE I FOUND THIS WEBSITE SO SOME MORE READING AND SEARCHING AROUND WONT KILL ME.

THANKS AGAIN

Message 3 of 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

ROBERT,

THANKS FOR THE REPLY AND ADVICE. IT'S NOT AS OLD AS I THOUGHT, IT IS SAYING AUG 8 2011 - LEXINGTON LAW SAID THEY COULD GET THEM OFF WITH NO ISSUE BUT I JUST CANT SEE MYSELF PAYING THEM $99 A MONTH FOR SOMTHING I CAN DO MYSELF ONCE I FIND THE RIGHT DIRECTION AND THE RIGHT SAMPLE LETTERS TO SEND.

I'VE BEEN LOOKING ONLINE FOR ABOUT 2 MONTHS NOW BEFORE I FOUND THIS WEBSITE SO SOME MORE READING AND SEARCHING AROUND WONT KILL ME.

THANKS AGAIN

For the reasons you've stated, I also don't recommend using Lexington Law.   All they can do is dispute on your behalf; you can dispute for free.  That money would be better spent addressing your debts.

That said, we do not recommend the dispute of collection accounts that are validly reporting.  As for how to address this, this may depend on some factors.  How much are the collection debts?   Also, do you know the SOL (statute of limitations) for your state for these debts?

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

SunriseEarth,

Sorry the SOL for TX on medical collections is 4yrs

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Message 6 of 11
Tigremalo2001
New Contributor

I had a medical collection from 2014 and even after this was sold to a collection agency, I went directly to the original creditor (a foot doctor). I paid the bill directly to them and then they contacted the collection agency. It took 3 months but they eventually removed the collection. It was simple, I actually went to the doctor's office and paid the collection amount right there.

Starting FICO scores 5/2017--- 580 EQ/ 531 TU/535 EXperian

As of 12/29/17 Curent FICO ----691 EQ/ 666 TU/ 686 Experian
Message 7 of 11
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Did you pull your reports from annualcreditreport.com? Those will show the removal dates along with who the collection agencies are. If you haven't, I would pull those reports and then update us with the dates.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 9 of 11
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

The open date is only the date in which it was opened with that specific collection agency. You can call the credit reporting agencies and ask when they are scheduled to fall off. If it's within the next 6 months, you can attempt an early removal. You may have to ask for a supervisor or call several times. They may tell you when to call back to request early removal.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.