cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOFD doesn't show up on EX report (HELP!!)

darwin_wins
Established Contributor

DOFD doesn't show up on EX report (HELP!!)

I was reading about how they had issues with DOFD and that got me thinking about one collection on my report. I looked up the report (got this report from Equifax - Equifax 3-Bureau Credit Report and Scores).

 

On EX report, this is what it shows up as 

 

2015-09-06_10-22-48.png

 

Now I used to have Comcast but that was in 2009. So technically DOFD should be early 2010 or so. Without DOFD on report I don't know when Comcast reported this. It showed on TU & EQ long time ago and then for some reason the status was Consumer disputes this account and eventually it just dropped. I didn't initiate any disputes with anyone because I didn't have money to pay off and didn't want to poke the bear. 

 

 

What should I do with this? I don't want this to be reporting till 2020.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

Re: DOFD doesn't show up on EX report (HELP!!)

I think most people would suggest you direct dispute, I believe that's what it's called. By your assertion of the date your fall off date should be 2017 at best.

Not seeing the CA but I've heard Comcast is good about retracting accounts from CA's if you pay the balance in full.
Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards






If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 2 of 23
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Re: DOFD doesn't show up on EX report (HELP!!)


@LShawn08 wrote:
I think most people would suggest you direct dispute, I believe that's what it's called. By your assertion of the date your fall off date should be 2017 at best.

Not seeing the CA but I've heard Comcast is good about retracting accounts from CA's if you pay the balance in full.



 

There is a CA, it is held by  SOUTHWEST CREDIT SYSTEMS. I cropped the image so it had info on date and nothing related to CA. Its been almost 5 years, you think Comcast may still have that debt? I assumed that after a certain period, OC doesn't have that debt for example: I got a call from CA saying that they are acting on behalf of Amex and would like to offer me Regain Membership option if I pay off the balance. I wasn't sure about the CA so I called Global Collection Services, they tried looking me up and they couldn't find me in the system (using SSN or name). 

 

 

Message 3 of 23
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

Re: DOFD doesn't show up on EX report (HELP!!)

 

@darwin_wins wrote:

@LShawn08 wrote:
I think most people would suggest you direct dispute, I believe that's what it's called. By your assertion of the date your fall off date should be 2017 at best.

Not seeing the CA but I've heard Comcast is good about retracting accounts from CA's if you pay the balance in full.



 

There is a CA, it is held by  SOUTHWEST CREDIT SYSTEMS. I cropped the image so it had info on date and nothing related to CA. Its been almost 5 years, you think Comcast may still have that debt? I assumed that after a certain period, OC doesn't have that debt for example: I got a call from CA saying that they are acting on behalf of Amex and would like to offer me Regain Membership option if I pay off the balance. I wasn't sure about the CA so I called Global Collection Services, they tried looking me up and they couldn't find me in the system (using SSN or name). 

 

 


It doesn't hurt to call them up and ask. Many companies just contract out collection authority but still own the account. For example Dish and Direct TV just move around there collection accounts, if one agency can't get the account collected they move it to another. I'd call Comcast in general and see if they can give you any information about the account and it's status during last activity. 

 

Unfortunately I can't give advice on how to deal with that particular CA but search the board if you haven't already and see if their receptive to GW's after an account is paid in full. 

Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards






If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 4 of 23
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: DOFD doesn't show up on EX report (HELP!!)

Ownerhsip of the debt would only be pertinent as to how you might go about paying or offering to pay the debt.

If, for example, the OC still owns the debt and the debt collector will not accept a PFD offer, then you could attempt to contact the OC and get them to first withdraw collection authority and accept payment directly from you. 

 

At this point, you can offer the debt collector a PFD, and if they accept, any issue of DOFD becomes moot.

 

If you cant obtain a PFD or do not wish to pay the debt for whatever reason, then you must first obtain the reported DOFD before you can dispute its accuracy.

The debt collector is required, per FCRA 623(a)(5), to have reported the DOFD on the OC account to the CRA within 90 days after having reported their collection, so it is in your credit file.  Many commercial credit reports do not provide the reported DOFD.  You may be able to obtain it by ordering a copy of your CR through annualcreditreport.com or by obtaining a copy directly from the CRA.

 

Once you have clear showing of the DOFD that they reported, you can then file a disptue, either through the CRA or directly with the debt collector, providing your documentation of an earlier DOFD.  It is premature to assert an inaccurtely reported DOFD until you know the date reported.  Estimated exclusion dates provided in a commercial credit report dont establish theri reported DOFD, as they do not state what early exclusions the CRA have included in their estimate/projection.

Message 5 of 23
NormanFH
Super Contributor

Re: DOFD doesn't show up on EX report (HELP!!)


@darwin_wins wrote:

I was reading about how they had issues with DOFD and that got me thinking about one collection on my report. I looked up the report (got this report from Equifax - Equifax 3-Bureau Credit Report and Scores).

 

On EX report, this is what it shows up as 

 

2015-09-06_10-22-48.png

 

Now I used to have Comcast but that was in 2009. So technically DOFD should be early 2010 or so. Without DOFD on report I don't know when Comcast reported this. It showed on TU & EQ long time ago and then for some reason the status was Consumer disputes this account and eventually it just dropped. I didn't initiate any disputes with anyone because I didn't have money to pay off and didn't want to poke the bear. 

 

 

What should I do with this? I don't want this to be reporting till 2020.


As RobertEG suggested, pull your EX report from annualcreditreport.com, and it will show the actual reported DoFD. The collector is required to obtain the DoFD from the OC.

Most Recent FICO 8 Scores EX616/TU587/EQ607 01/09/2018 Starting scores 553/485/543 08/25//2017
~~~Credit lines~~~~
SDFCU VISA Secured $250
Discover Secured $200
Message 6 of 23
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Re: DOFD doesn't show up on EX report (HELP!!)

I have a copy of the report that I was able to access because I opened a dispute with Experian about 2 entries one by hsbc and another by ca and I had paid ca so thought they can't be reporting at the same time. Anyway so I was looking at the report and saw the same thing no first default date. Not sure why that's the case. It says the account was opened in 2013 and I haven't had Comcast in almost 6 years so did Comcast try to collect it till 2013 and then hand it over? If so I didn't receive anything. Also if that's the case they should still report it from 2009 and not 2013. Should I dispute this. I was denied by Chase so I knew I could order a free copy which I did right now. That should have everything, right? If that comes back with 2013 what should I do? 

Message 7 of 23
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: DOFD doesn't show up on EX report (HELP!!)

The procedure that a debt collector must follow to obtain and report the DOFD is set forth in detail in FCRA 623(a)(5).

Get a copy of that section of the FCRA, and read carefully....

 

\in a nutshell, since your sitution is one wherein the OC has not reported a DOFD to the CRA, the debt collector was required to have contacted the OC and attempted to otain hte DOFD from them.  If they made a reaonable attempt to obtain the DOFD from the OC but were unable to do so, then then seciton 623(a)(5) permits them to make their best guess of the DOFD, but in no case can they report a DOFD that is later than the date they obtained collection authority.

 

In viewing your situation, it is not possible to know whether the debt collector contacted the OC, and if so, wheher any contact resulted in the OC providing a DOFD to the debt collector.  In the event that their attempt was unsuccessful, then reporting of the date they obtained collection authority as their "best guess" of the DOFD would not be improper.  Not likely, as DOFD most likely preceded the date their received collection authority by at least 1-1 1/2 years, but not a violation of the FCRA.

 

Their assumed DOFD is disputable by factual evidence showing an actual, earlier DOFD.

If/when you obtain their reported DOFD, then send them a direct dispute, accompaneid by all your evidence, showing an actual, earlier DOFD, and request their correction of the reported DOFD by sending an update to the CRA.

Message 8 of 23
thesecondtimearound
Valued Member

Re: DOFD doesn't show up on EX report (HELP!!)


 Many commercial credit reports do not provide the reported DOFD.  You may be able to obtain it by ordering a copy of your CR through annualcreditreport.com or by obtaining a copy directly from the CRA.

 


I've noticed this as well and its very frustrating. Why do they sell us these "lite" versions of our credit reports, but make it so difficult to obtain the fuil & complete ones? The discrespensies make planning and moving forward unnecessarily painful.

Message 9 of 23
gdale6
Moderator

Re: DOFD doesn't show up on EX report (HELP!!)


@thesecondtimearound wrote:

 Many commercial credit reports do not provide the reported DOFD.  You may be able to obtain it by ordering a copy of your CR through annualcreditreport.com or by obtaining a copy directly from the CRA.

 


I've noticed this as well and its very frustrating. Why do they sell us these "lite" versions of our credit reports, but make it so difficult to obtain the fuil & complete ones? The discrespensies make planning and moving forward unnecessarily painful.


The system is designed and skewed to the creditor its not designed to make it easy for you to do anything.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.