Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOFD on Comcast and Credit Protection Asso

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DOFD on Comcast and Credit Protection Asso

Hello, 

I have been working hard to improve my credit score for the last 4 years now. 

I have paid everything on time and simply waited the 7.5 years until negative items dropped. 

I just checked my Fico score from Transunion on myfico.com and its listed at 706. 

Supposedly the factors hurting my score is that I have a

17% Ratio of your revolving balances to your credit limits

Thats fine since i can bring that down to 0% if i wanted to. Its just a credit card that I use monthly and PIF. 

However, the next negative thing is a Collection that was originally from Comcast and is now Credit Protection Asso. 

Its been on my report since 2005. I was considering just waiting out the 7.5 years until it drops. 

However, this year I am planning on buying a house and wanted to raise my score as high as possible. 

I'm a little confused as to what the DOFD is , and ultimately the SOL. This is what the Transunion report shows

Collection on debt to: Comcast Formerly Adelphia

The collection agency "Crd Prt Asso" was hired to collect a debt of $269 originally owed to "Comcast Formerly Adelphia" on account number "XXXXXXXXXX".

Collection agency Crd Prt Asso
Original balance $269
Current balance $220
Date assigned  Oct 18, 2005
Original lender  Comcast Formerly Adelphia

Account holder Individual
Account descriptions Account information disputed by consumer

I ran an equifax Score power report 3 months ago, and this is what it showed. 

CREDIT PROTECTION 

Agency Address:

PO Box 802068
Dallas, TX 753802068

Date Reported:

06/2007 

Date Assigned:

10/2005 

Creditor Classification:

Creditor Name:

ADELPHIA 

Account Number:

XXXXXXXXX 

Account Owner:

Individual Account. 

Original Amount Owned:

$269 

Date of 1 st Delinquency:

07/2005 

Balance Date:

06/2007 

Balance Owned:

$220 

Last Payment Date:

N/A 

Status Date:

06/2007 

D - Unpaid 

Comments:

N/A

I live in the state of FLORIDA

My questions:

1) I am confused because it shows a STATUS DATE and Balance Date of 06/2007. 

How do I compute the date which it will drop from my Credit Reports?

Is it from 06/2007 or 10/2005 ?

2) How do I compute the SOL ? Is it from 06/2007 or 10/2005 ?

2) On this page 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/What-Steps-Do-I-Take-Do-I-DV-PFD/m-p/337142

it advises to not wake up a sleeping giant if you are still in the SOL if you cannot PIF. 

I can PIF, so that is not a problem. 

However, I do not want to reset the 7.5 years wait time until it drops from report. 

If I try to get rid of this collection, by sending a DV letter CMRRR, will this posibly reset the 7.5 years drop off time?

Thank you !

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DOFD on Comcast and Credit Protection Asso

I guess a simpler question is this:

Since its an old collection, 

Should I just wait one more year and let it fall off or should I go through the steps of DV and then PFD ?

With a current scrore of 706, I would love to delete that item and get boosted to 750 or more (just a guess). 

Message 2 of 11
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess a simpler question is this:

Since its an old collection, 

Should I just wait one more year and let it fall off or should I go through the steps of DV and then PFD ?

With a current scrore of 706, I would love to delete that item and get boosted to 750 or more (just a guess). 

Do you have any old records of the account? Do you know when the account was closed and or charged off? Do you know when the last time you made a payment to the account was? Is the OC also reporting?

I noticed that the account is under dispute, and at times when accounts are disputed they are not calculated into your scores. So removing the collection may not change your score.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 3 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The information you have provided is all based on your CA account reporting, and not OC reporting.

CAs dont report your DOFD.  That is reported by the OC. A DOFD cannot be reset by anything the CA reports.

CAs drop from your credit report under FCRA 605(c) based solely on the DOFD on the OC account.  The drop off date is the DOFD plus 180-days, plus 7 years.

While your CR lists 7/2005 as your DOFD, there is no associated OC account reporting to verifyy this.  The CRA has apparently extracted this date from the  OC account segment of your credit file.  Since the OC apparently assigned the debt to the debt collector in 10/2005, I would be as bit suspicious of that DOFD date.  Three months is a very short time between first delinquency and collection referral.  I would go  back to the OC account and verify the DOFD.

If you accept the DOFD as being 7/2005, the CA could then remain until after 1/2013.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. My answers are below

Do you have any old records of the account? 

I don't have any old receipts anymore. 

Do you know when the account was closed and or charged off?

I remember them contacting me in 2005 and  I think it went to collection in 2006. 

I'm not sure how I enrolled in this Bank Of america credit service (I need to cancel it), but in the mail, I received this red brochure with information from my 3 credit bureaus. 

The booklet is titled "Bank Of America PrivacySource Service"

Inside, I see a summary of my 3 Credit Reports. One of the pages shows my Delinquent Information from all 3 Bureaus. 

Transunion shows the account from "Comcast Formerly Adelphia"

Equifax shows it from Adelphia

Experian shows it from "Credit Protection Asso"

They all show a ChargeOff date of 06/2007

Its important to note that the company Adelphia does not exist anymore, because they changed to Comcast.

Thank you

Message 5 of 11
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

+1 to what Robert has said.

How about old Credit Reports from back then?

If you do not have any records of any kind it isn't very easy to determine the DOFD. You are pretty much stuck with accepting what is listed on Credit Reports.

IMO I would get my FREE Credit Report from annualcreditreport.com for each of the Credit Bureau's (if you haven't done so yet) and see what they have listed for estimated date for removal. This will give you an idea when it will fall off according to what they have on record since you have no record to dispute it. 

Good Luck
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Robert !

Very valuable info. I would agree that 3 months is too short of a time. I'm not positive, but I think this account went to collection back in 2006. 

Also good know that A DOFD cannot be reset by anything the CA reports.

As JM-AM  pointed out, tthe account is under dispute.

Knowing that

1) In approximately 2 years the collection will drop,

2) This is the only negative item in my report,

3) My scores are above 700

4) I could be applying for a mortgage this year.

Would you spend the time and effort  to try and remove this account?

By going through the DV, etc... 

Message 7 of 11
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you Robert !

Very valuable info. I would agree that 3 months is too short of a time. I'm not positive, but I think this account went to collection back in 2006. 

Also good know that A DOFD cannot be reset by anything the CA reports.

As JM-AM  pointed out, tthe account is under dispute.

Knowing that

1) In approximately 2 years the collection will drop,

2) This is the only negative item in my report,

3) My scores are above 700

4) I could be applying for a mortgage this year.

Would you spend the time and effort  to try and remove this account?

By going through the DV, etc... 

You may be required to pay the debt to obtain the mortgage. This is not always the case but be prepared you may have to.

In all honesty it isn't a very large debt and you could offer a PFD as long as you have the full amount to pay. Worse case scenario is you just pay it and be done with it and wait it out to fall off your reports, but at least it is paid and can never haunt you.

IMO if you are thinking of applying for a mortgage it will look best if they accept a PFD and remove it. It still looks better as  a paid collection to underwriting even if it isn't removed. 

Good Luck
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great. Thanks. I didn't know any of that information. You've taught me alot!

I will go ahead and try for the PFD since I can afford to pay it. 

Back in 2005 when this occurred I did not have the money for it.

Message 9 of 11
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Great. Thanks. I didn't know any of that information. You've taught me alot!

I will go ahead and try for the PFD since I can afford to pay it. 

Back in 2005 when this occurred I did not have the money for it.

Do a search on the forums for examples of PFD's and just put into your own words. There are many good examples on these forums. You just have to weed through them all to see which best describes your situation.

Good Luck
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.