Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DV question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: rsRe: DV question

@-Cain- wrote:
To find the TLs owner, is it best to DV the CA or call/write the OC directly?

I am not sure what you mean by tradeline owner.

On your credit report isn't there the name of who is reporting?

Message 11 of 26
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Yes it does, a CA is reporting. When a CA reports, does that mean the OC no longer owns the account? I thought I've read of CAs just being hired/assigned to collect. I may be confusing too many threads I've read and if that's the case I apologize. This is my last bad and for some reason it's making me think the most in how to approach it.
Message 12 of 26
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

O6, I re-read my question, what I meant was to find out who owns the debt, not the TL. I hope I cleared that up.
Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cain- wrote:
O6, I re-read my question, what I meant was to find out who owns the debt, not the TL. I hope I cleared that up.

Thanks.  Now I understand. 

Hopefully others can pitch in because I do not know how to tell just by looking a a credit report who owns the debt. 

I suppose you could call the original creditor and ask them if they still own the debt.  If you DV the CA they have to tell you who the original creditor is, but I am not sure if they have to tell you who actually owns the debt.

One disadvantage of a DV is that if the debt is still within the SOL it could awaken them and start them thinking of suing you.  How much is the debt for?  When did it go into default?  What type of debt is it?  Which state are you in?

Once it is determined that the debt is no longer within the SOL, the next question would be what you want to accomplish.  Are you looking for a PFD?  A settlement?  Just letting things ride until the tradeline(s) fall off your credit report?

What would your goal be in DVing?

Message 14 of 26
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

$915 for a tow service. Due to fall off Nov 2013, so it should be from late 2006. I am in California. I'd like to PFD to get it off the CRs, but have read here to always DV before doing anything else. I do want to make sure I am dealing with the debts rightful owner and whomever can arrange a PFD, otherwise I'd probably let it ride off and settle then. It's my last bad and would like to see it gone, not just updated to paid.
Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cain- wrote:
$915 for a tow service. Due to fall off Nov 2013, so it should be from late 2006. I am in California. I'd like to PFD to get it off the CRs, but have read here to always DV before doing anything else. I do want to make sure I am dealing with the debts rightful owner and whomever can arrange a PFD, otherwise I'd probably let it ride off and settle then. It's my last bad and would like to see it gone, not just updated to paid.

Who is reporting this debt on your CR?  And what is the balance reporting from the tradeline(s)?

The SOL has expired on the debt itself so contacting the law office should not cause you any problems.  You may, however, want to contact DMV to enquire about possible liens if you still own the vehicle.

Message 16 of 26
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

The CA is the only one reporting, Collection Consultants of California, $915. "Placed for collection with a law office" is what it reads. Date opened 3/2007, last updated 3/2007. I do not recall ever having received a dunning letter nor phone calls from this place.

DMV is not an issue.
Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cain- wrote:
The CA is the only one reporting, Collection Consultants of California, $915. "Placed for collection with a law office" is what it reads. Date opened 3/2007, last updated 3/2007. I do not recall ever having received a dunning letter nor phone calls from this place.

DMV is not an issue.

If they are the only ones reporting, then would think that they are the ones you need to PFD. 

You could try calling the original creditor to confirm whether or not they sold the debt. 

Message 18 of 26
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

So calling the OC to find out who owns debt would be a better move than DVing CA? I was leaning towards that as I thought DVs might make a CA not want to work with you on a PFD after that.
Message 19 of 26
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

There isn't much info out on this CA, I did find them in the BBB website, have an F rating. Says they don't respond so much to complaints. I think I found one thread here from 2009 about them. I'll have to research that again and see if they worked with whoever posted about them.
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.