Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DV response. What next?

tag
aj1901
Regular Contributor

DV response. What next?

I received a response on 2 medical debts I sent a DV letter to (they are both owned by the same company). They didn't sent me anything I asked for other then a statement of the charge they say I owe. It's out of SOL and scheduled to fall off next year. They both show a balance of 356.00. I'm not really interested in paying it as I believe it has already been paid in the past, but the OC is no help on getting that confirmed for me. I'm not even sure their office exists anymore. I could send a PFD settlement on both accounts for 20% of each balance possibly. But that's about as much as I'm willing to sacrifice other then waiting it out. Any suggestions guys? Thanks a ton.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
aj1901
Regular Contributor

Re: DV response. What next?

Bump
Message 2 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

That's what I would do.  Offer a small % of the debt for removal.  If they say no, then offer more or let it stay.

Message 3 of 7
aj1901
Regular Contributor

Thanks Guiness I faxed them a PFD for 20% of each balance. I guess we will see what they say.
Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they responded to the DV with verification, they have stated that they have investigated the debt, and have reasonable basis for asserting a continued debt.

Waiting it out will, once 7 yrs plus 180 days has expired from the DOFD on the OC account, exclude the collection from your credit report, and thus prevent others from becoming aware of the unpaid, delinquent debt by seeing an active collection on the debt.

However the debt remains unsatisfied, and if potential creditors become aware of it by other means, it can remain as a basis for denial of future credit.

While you may assert that the debt does not exist, they have verified that it does.  It can still come back to bite you.

A seetlement for as low an amount as possible would satisfy the debt, and remove that lingering issue.

Message 5 of 7
aj1901
Regular Contributor

Robert, they only verified that a debt apparently exists. Nothing from the OC or that the debt is even really valid. Just a hand typed invoice if that even counts as validation. How exactly can a debt outside the SOL and that has fallen off of someone's credit report come back to bite them? You can't be sued, and it can't be reported. Am I missing something?
Message 6 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

When you are applying for a mortgage you have to disclose unpaid debt.  Even some employeers ask this also.

If you apply for a mortgage or credit of $150,000 or more or a job with an annual salary of $75,000 or more they can get a report that shows all unpaid debt.  It is rare but it can happen.

Unpaid debt does not go away.

Also, they are not required to prove you own the debt, just that one exists.  It would be up to a judge to have them prove that.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.