Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DW COURT DATE APPROACHING ADVISE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DW COURT DATE APPROACHING ADVISE

Hello Fico family, this post is for my DW and we need to know what are the best thing or things to do goin forward with her coutt date the first week of November. Let me explain a bit about how she got to this situation. When we met about 2 yrs ago, she had very low scores so i added her to my cards as AU to help boost her and also about 6 myys ago we were working with a company to help remove her collection account(about 7). Low and behold, 2 of the cards i added her to were banks that she owed. Didnt find that out till later, and we should've had that talk before but we're in it now. One particular CA had 3 of her accounts and i guess thats how they verified the accounts and next thing you know we had sheriffs coming to the house to serve her. She went to court to see shat was goin on and when she returned home she said i have a hearing in November. At this point do we need to hire an attorney or just try to find a settlement deal? What are our options right now? Is there a way to get in front of thiscbefore the court date? Thanks a million in advise, God Bless!
2 REPLIES 2
ItsCASHual
Regular Contributor

Re: DW COURT DATE APPROACHING ADVISE

They may negotiate a settlement, but it won't be a huge discount, just FYI because now they are on the front porch of the courthouse. Judgement is easy to get now on their part so they have no obligation to cut any great deals. However, worse case scenario, full amount they're suing you for can be split into payment arrangements and it is then signed by the judge so no one can change anything.

Usually the company suing will get a signed consent judgement on that court day. Sometimes they will give you 2 weeks up to 30 days to come up with a "lump amount" or "settlement amount" agreed upon, which they then may say consent judgement won't be entered if the lump sum agreement is paid on or before then. Not always like this, but sometimes.

All depends on whom the company is and what the balance owed is.

They got wind of this because they can see hubby has many credit accounts in good standing when you tied the knot to your CR together.

FICO 8

Message 2 of 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: DW COURT DATE APPROACHING ADVISE

Call them and ask if you can settle it before it goes to court. That is you have the $ to do a PIF. Then they may drop the case. Everyone got paid. Of course there will be attorney fees and such. Dont know until you try. Good Luck!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.