Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DW rebuild and lots of questions

tag
Caught750
Valued Contributor

DW rebuild and lots of questions

DW currently has a FICO 8 (EX) of 597. I looked over what I could with her reports and had several questions.

1) do only open credit card accounts count towards the 3 to 5 card bump for FICO scoring? Do charge cards count into this equation? What kind of score increase can be expected?
2) can lates on student loan payments be good willed?
3) do student loans count as installment loans for scoring purposes?
4) has anyone had any luck removing a TD Bank/Target card CO that isn't showing as a CA?

Thanks for any advice you guys can provide!
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DW rebuild and lots of questions

Hi. I’ll help where I can. 

Its almost impossible to goodwill Federal student loans but YMMV. 

Yes student loans count as installment loans. 

Hopefully others with chime in with answers to your other questions. Good luck! 

Message 2 of 4
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Thanks very much!
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

1) do only open credit card accounts count towards the 3 to 5 card bump for FICO scoring? Do charge cards count into this equation? What kind of score increase can be expected?

Closed credit cards only terminate the ability of the consumer to make new purchases.  They are not removed from FICO scoring, and still are included in the AAoA calculation.
2) can lates on student loan payments be good willed?

Some federal student loans are required under the Higher Education Act to report all derogs, while others are not.

Is the loan federal?  If so, what type of federal student loan is it?  Stafford, Perkins, FFEL, other?
3) do student loans count as installment loans for scoring purposes?

Yes.
4) has anyone had any luck removing a TD Bank/Target card CO that isn't showing as a CA?

A charge-off does not discharge the debt, and the full debt remains due.

You might have a shot if you ultimately have paid the debt, but likely little or no good-will if the debt remains unpaid.

Additionally, if the creditor has sold the debt, they will not receive any subsequent payment, so paying a new owner is not likely to have any good-will effect for deletion by the origninal creditor.  Is the debt paid, unpaid, and who now owns it?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.