Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darnit! Hard inquiry from Vital Recovery dropped my score -3

tag
lundungurl
New Contributor

Darnit! Hard inquiry from Vital Recovery dropped my score -3

Hey, I just got an alert from Credit Karma that Vital Recovery made a hard inquiry on my credit report. I don't know who Vital recovery is because I don't have any accounts in my credit report from them. Are they allowed to do that? I went from having 2 inquiries to 3 and my score dropped because of it. What should I do to get it removed? Thanks!

Starting FICO's (9/26/2011) EX 586, EQ 575, TU 584
Goal: 650 across the board
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Darnit! Hard inquiry from Vital Recovery dropped my score -3

@lundungurl wrote:

Hey, I just got an alert from Credit Karma that Vital Recovery made a hard inquiry on my credit report. I don't know who Vital recovery is because I don't have any accounts in my credit report from them. Are they allowed to do that? I went from having 2 inquiries to 3 and my score dropped because of it. What should I do to get it removed? Thanks!

Well, it possible Vital Recovery does own an account on you and just hasn't placed it on your file.. I believe colleciton companies are allowed permissible inquiries if they have an account on you.. This just happend to me with LVNV, they placed a hard inquiry on my report, and 5 days later a collection account appeared..

To be honest; if you are stressing over three points you probably need to take a deep breath about it.. 3 points is so minimal.. I understand point loss is disappointing, especially if you are teetering near a threshold, but the possible negaitve from pursuing a removal of this far out weigh the positives in my opinion..

Last summer I was in your position, scraping for every single point, and I sent GW letters to every hard inquiry on my file and I am still cleaning up the wreckage from mulitple fraud alerts places on my file ..

-scott

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 7
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

They just did a hard inquiry on me a couple of days ago too. They must be on the prowl to collect on some old junk debts.

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
lundungurl
New Contributor

Scott, how did you get fraud alerts on your CR? was it from disputing? I have one on mine too but it's because I had my first premier and orchard bank cc's stolen way back in 2007. orchard bank is no longer reporting the tradeline but first premier is reporting "card lost or stolen" I still have a balance of about $250 with the first premier one. I'm looking for advice on how to get the tradeline removed and the fraud alert off my cr's. Any advice? Thanks

Starting FICO's (9/26/2011) EX 586, EQ 575, TU 584
Goal: 650 across the board
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lundungurl wrote:

I even have all 3 of my reports from the credit bureaus FROZEN and a collection agency pulled my report and put a hard inquiry on Transunion.  I am convinced collection agencies can do ANYTHING they want. 

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

They certified to the CRA that somewhere, you either have an account with them, initated a business transaction with them (utility, phone, apt rental, cable TV, car rental, etc), or initiated a request for credit or insurance through them.  Those are the main basis for permissible purpose of an inquiry.  Debt collectors have permissible purpose, regardless of whether they have reported to a CRA.

If you have never initiated any business transaction with or through them, they can only have made an inquiry to the CRA for the sole purpose of making you an unsolicited firm offer for credit, and even then, they would only get your name and address, and their inquiry would have been coded as soft.

You can inquiry with the CRA as to the stated purpose of their inquiry, should you wish to pursue it.  That could get a bit administratvie, and by the time you get the info you want, it will most likely be at or near the one year point after which the inq will no longer count in your scoring.  Usually not worth the frustration, but that is your call.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

These can cause issues beyond simply your FICO score however.  In my recent CC applications, one of the reasons I was given for denial on one was an inquiry from a CA, that had only 2 days earlier appeared on my otherwise spotless EX report. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.