Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Date of First Delinquency Changed on 2 Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Date of First Delinquency Changed on 2 Collections

So I disputed two collections on Equifax and just got the results. They changed the date of first delinquency by about five years on two medical collections. Is this allowed? Should I dispute it? I was thinking this was against the rules. The DOFD was reported as December 27, 2015 and December 30, 2015 on these two different accounts until today. Now both were updated to May 2021 for DOFD. Pasted the collection info for one directly from Equifax below. Can I just call Equifax and get it resolved more quickly if this is not allowed? Thanks for any help!

Account owner
Individual Account
Original creditor
AUSTIN RADIOLOGICAL ASSOCIATIO
Date reported
05/14/2021
Date assigned
05/31/2016
Account status
Unpaid
Agency
EASTERN ACCOUNT SYSTEM, INC.
Creditor Classification
Medical/Health Care
Status date
05/14/2021
Original amount owed
$61
Balance date
05/14/2021

Date of last payment
Invalid date
Date of first delinquency
05/19/2021
Balance owed
$61
Comments
Consumer Disputes This Account Information Collection Account
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Date of First Delinquency Changed on 2 Collections

Why did you dispute? If it was to get them removed, they are valid, even with initial DoFD. Too early for EE.

I'd keep a copy of reports showing correct DoFD. That should also be showing correct on reports on Annual Credit.

If you have a legitimate dispute, ask rep to confirm DOFD. Explain you have evidence if DOFD was indeed changed.

Message 2 of 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I disputed two collections on Equifax and just got the results. They changed the date of first delinquency by about five years on two medical collections. Is this allowed? Should I dispute it? I was thinking this was against the rules. The DOFD was reported as December 27, 2015 and December 30, 2015 on these two different accounts until today. Now both were updated to May 2021 for DOFD. Pasted the collection info for one directly from Equifax below. Can I just call Equifax and get it resolved more quickly if this is not allowed? Thanks for any help!

Account owner
Individual Account
Original creditor
AUSTIN RADIOLOGICAL ASSOCIATIO
Date reported
05/14/2021
Date assigned
05/31/2016
Account status
Unpaid
Agency
EASTERN ACCOUNT SYSTEM, INC.
Creditor Classification
Medical/Health Care
Status date
05/14/2021
Original amount owed
$61
Balance date
05/14/2021

Date of last payment
Invalid date
Date of first delinquency
05/19/2021
Balance owed
$61
Comments
Consumer Disputes This Account Information Collection Account

I don't see a DOFD reported on this. Date Reported is NOT the same as DOFD. That is simply the date the account was last updated. It was updated to this month because you disputed it and the account was updated with dispute results.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no blanket prohibition against updating the reported DOFD.

The requirment is that what is reported must not knowingly be inaccurate.

If, upon review of a previously reported DOFD, it is determined that the actual, factual DOFD is different than that previously reported, they are required to promptly correct.

Thus, the issue is not whether they have changed the reported DOFD, but rather whether the now-reported DOFD is accurate.

In the instant scenario. the previously reported DOFD was stated to be in December, 2015.

The first collection then reports a date assigned to the debt collector of May 2016.

By definition, a DOFD cannot be later than the date that the collection was assigned to the debt collector (see FCRA 623(a)(5)(B)(iii)), so by defintion the reporting of a DOFD after 2016 would be inaccurate.

Yes, the updating of the DOFD to 5/2021 is inaccurate, but not simply because a DOFD cannot be corrected/updated.  It is inaccurate because factually it is not possible for a debt to have first gone delinquent after it was placed for collection.

It appears to be a simply error on the part of the debt collector when updating that should be easily resolved......

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.