Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deadline for debt collector to validate

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deadline for debt collector to validate

I received an email notice from TrueAccord on Nov 5, 2021, claiming I owed a debt for $108 to Jefferson Capitol Systems (which I learned was another debt collector). I disputed this and said I've never done business or bought any product from Jefferson Capitol Systems (yes, intentionally playing dumb) and therefore, the claimed debt was not valid. They responded on Nov 20 and said they would pause all activity until the received validation from Jefferson. Not a peep out of them since.

Is there a timeframe in which they must respond?

I'm pretty sure I know what this is about and it's something that would have been prior to July 2013, which is when I moved to Canada. This means the SOL has expired, so I don't have any legal concerns here (not that they'd sue for $108 anyway). Same goes for reporting to the CRA's....time-barred after 7 years.

It's been more than a month since they replied to my dispute. Is there a point where I can call game over and tell them the matter is closed? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Deadline for debt collector to validate

@Anonymous wrote:

I received an email notice from TrueAccord on Nov 5, 2021, claiming I owed a debt for $108 to Jefferson Capitol Systems (which I learned was another debt collector). I disputed this and said I've never done business or bought any product from Jefferson Capitol Systems (yes, intentionally playing dumb) and therefore, the claimed debt was not valid. They responded on Nov 20 and said they would pause all activity until the received validation from Jefferson. Not a peep out of them since.

I'm pretty sure I know what this is about and it's something that would have been prior to July 2013, which is when I moved to Canada. This means the SOL has expired, so I don't have any legal concerns here (not that they'd sue for $108 anyway). Same goes for reporting to the CRA's....time-barred after 7 years.

It's been more than a month since they replied to my dispute. Is there a point where I can call game over and tell them the matter is closed? 

They never have to respond. They just can't resume debt collection activities until the validation is sent to you since you responded to the dunning notice requesting validation within the 30 days.

Message 2 of 5
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If they never responded and if they never reported anything, then I'd just let it be. Why poke the bear?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 5
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Technically the SOL may not have expired if the collector knew you've been living outside the US as legally tolling the statute of limitations might apply.   Whether or not someone would want to actually be bothered with going through all of that rigamarole for $108 is debatable though.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point on the tolling, I hadn't thought of that. However, I can't imagine anyone pursuing $108 in court because it would be nothing but a loss. Filing fees are probably more than that and even if they could file for free, the time they'd invest in it wouldn't be worth it. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.