cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deal with the original creditor or collection agency??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deal with the original creditor or collection agency??

Have two collections I'm going to address real quick, progressive for $117 and local eye Dr. For $85 that are showing on my report. Do I have to/would I be better off dealing with the collection agencies or could I still go straight to the respective companies and cut the middle man out? (Or is that not even an option once it goes to collections?) I also have a third one for $1413 with the local college that I need to do the same thing with after I resolve the first two. Would I be better off saving some cash to go to them with or just contact them and try to setup payment arangments? I'm guessing I could probably have close to a grand in 1-3 months if I really clamped down and focused on it.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

Re: Deal with the original creditor or collection agency??

I don't know if you have pulled your credit report or not, but it's a good idea to do so. That way you can see who the CA is and if the original debt is showing a zero balance with the original creditor. If it is showing a zero balance then they sold it to the CA and you will have to deal with them directly. If it still shows a balance reporting then you should be able to contact the original creditor. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 2 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I would try to get the OC to recall the collectors in exchange for full payment of the accounts
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 If any of the collections companies have PFD, would it be good to try and settle for a lower amount? 

Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@gdale6 If any of the collections companies have PFD, would it be good to try and settle for a lower amount? 

The older the debt the easier it is to get one with a reduced payoff amount. If its still within SOL it will require more.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.