Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with Debt Collector - Chase Bank

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dealing with Debt Collector - Chase Bank

I had a credit card that I got behind on the payments when I was in the hospital for 40 days in 2015 The account was therefore marked delinquent and sent to a debt collector. The account does not show up under collections on my CR just as delinquent.

Account was opened 11/12
Closed 1/17
Last Reported 5/18
Status - collection/charge off

A month ago I received a letter (at my mothers house - so I didn’t get it in time) from Nationwide Credit to settle for $550

I just received a letter from ARS Services for a settlement of $1405 and it must be paid in full.

My question is - at this point is it worth settling? Any advice as to how I can get the settlement down to $550. ARS didn’t seem to receptive to that when I tried.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Dealing with Debt Collector - Chase Bank

Who currently owns the debt, the original creditor or a debt collector?

Is Nationwide reporting as the original creditor?

Message 2 of 6
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

Do you know if the debt is past the SOL?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m in FL, from what I’ve read the SOL is 4 years. However, when does that date start from?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nationwide nor ARS are reporting that the account is in collections. Nationwide had it first. Apparently ARS has it now. According to ARS they don’t buy debt so I’m assuming it’s still with the OC
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If Nationwide no longer has collection authority, then its settlement offer is no longer valid.

If the active debt collector, ARS, wont accept a settlement for less, you could always call the owner/OC and make a settlement offer directly to them......

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.