Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with charged off repossession with Jefferson Capital Systems

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dealing with charged off repossession with Jefferson Capital Systems

In 2016 I had a vehicle voluntarily reposessed after a seperation. I could no longer afford the payment on my high interest auto loan. After the car was repossessed I hadnt recieved a letter telling me what the car was auctioned for or what remaining balance was owed. I knew there was going to be a remaining balance but was as a single mother was in no position to deal with it. Out of sight out of mind. Bad choice, I know.
I recieved a letter a couple of weeks ago from Jefferson Capital Systems, a collection agency saying I owe around 6k for the remaining balance on that loan. I need to deal with this. I am willing to settle for delete if necessary, but how can i know this amount is legitimate? I have been reading these forums and have a general ides of the processes to negotiate, but i dont know what to do to get a breakdown of this debt. Can it be removed? I would greatly appreciate any guidance. I dont know where to begin.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Dealing with charged off repossession with Jefferson Capital Systems

There are likely regs in effect in your state that mandate notification to the consumer of the reconciliation of debt remaining after a repossession.

I would begin by contacting your state or local agency that regulates repossessions.

They should be able to provide you with detailed requirments.

If you cant determine the specific agency with jurisdiction, you might begin by calling the office of your state attorney general.

They regulate and prosecute violations, so are usually aware of the pertinent agency for a given area of consumer debt.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.