Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Validation

tag
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Re: Debt Validation

Should i DV a collection agency even though i believe the debt is mine? In hope that they will not be able to prove i owe this debt?
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 61 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just noticed that the DV has to be within 30 days of getting the notice. What if it has been on your CRA for years, you've gotten multiple notices, and you even made a payment or two?
Message 62 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never had my DV answered except w/court papersSmiley Sad
Message 63 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never DV a collector or the original creditor until you're either past the statute of limitations and/or you're ready to offer a settlement or paid in full... or you'll get the result you did. You weren't in a position to be demanding and got too far ahead.

I hope it turned out all right though. ??
Message 64 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, I thought I'd fight my own way dah, because I thought they actually HAD to follow the law too, and PROVE they bought the stupid account...I was wrong, they don't.

I partially won IMO but I'll owe them something...now they're messing more with my credit though I suppose because the Judge granted them Partial judgment, we have a trial end of April, this is the 3rd CA collecting for them...the first two disappeared from life as soon as I sent a letter 2 years ago stating I didn't owe any such debt.

Crap is, they bought it, they aren't collecting for Providian, period.  Funny thing, this attorney I spoke to is shocked that "if Providian charged it off" how can a new company just say I owe them double the amount...I was kind of floored...answer - because the courts allow it.  He thought the AG office would be interested, I say it's just another JDB getting away with crap!
Message 65 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need some advice.  I pulled my credit report and noticed two collection accounts.  One was for a credit card I have never owned ($2500+ $2000 interest).  The other might have been for a business cell phone I had 10 years ago, but still unsure ($70).  I used a standard DV to the companies (Midland and FCO) and sent certified.  The FCO was received but the Midland was rejected, can't except mail at that address, which I pulled off their website.  I also sent a different DV to each CA for both collection accounts for any copy of documentation provided to them for validation of debt.

One CA has not responded at all, (22 days now), the other was looking into it but do not provide such documentation of DV and recommended I contact the Collectors.  Both FCO and Midland said they were looking into it and would appreciate any documentation I had. 

Yesterday, FCO sent a letter saying the matter was closed in their office and were instructing all CAs to remove the data from my CR.  (Wow, I thought this one might be valid.)

TU and EQ both responded that the Midland account was valid!  I know that I never had the credit card!  They said to contact Midland for more info.  What is my best option?  Resend the DV to Midland to an alternate address and hope they accept it?  What proof are they required to provide?

Great forum, thanks in advance

Message 66 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Screw TU and Eq. Tell them to provide their method of verification, lazy bastards.

I sent Experian a letter including this for a debt they validated that clearly had incorrect information;

"More to the point, please provide what method, you, the Credit Reporting Agency, used to verify this information as it is quite obviously inaccurate. Please do not send me another pointless letter claiming I need to contact the creditor to obtain this information, when in fact it is YOUR responsibility to provide this information to me under the FACTA. If that happens, then I will have no other option than to extend this matter in a court of law, and obtain legal representation in order to seek a judgment against Experian for willful noncompliance, which is a violation of FACTA and FCRA as you would be in violation of Section § 611(a)(6) and (7). 15 USC 1681i of FCRA."

Now stupid Experian IGNORED this and said sometihng to the effect my information i sent was useless (copy of the check sent to the CA; copy of the letter FROM the CA saying paid in full; copy of the report showing highlighted incorrect information) and they'd contact the creditor. ARGGH!

Anyway try an MOV letter.

Also here is the Midland Address I used and I got a reciept from it (though no reply); I was going to offer a partial settlement for delete but it comes off in July so screw 'em.

Midland Credit Mgmt Inc.
8875 Aero Dr Ste 200
San Diego, CA 92123
Message 67 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hoping someone can help me out here. My fiancee usually checks our mail while I'm at work and she is notoriously bad about leaving mail lying around in odd places. I just found a letter from a CA regarding a debt and offering a settlement amount. The date on the letterhead is 1/12/08. I know that I am supposed to dispute with them within 30 days but I have just seen this letter for the first time today (4/24/08). Does anyone have any advice on whether I can still send a debt validation letter to them?

Thanks in advance.
Message 68 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

My opinion is that it doesn't matter.  The law says they have to include that 30 day stuff.  The law also says they can't use that as proof of the debt.  Doesn't make sense; but, that is how I read it.

You should always be honest.  You can honestly tell them you just got the letter.  Chances are they have only included a PO Box for your reply.  I would suggest you include a request for a mailing address that can sign for mail and request they send any letters to you via registerred mail so further confustion can be avoided.  (Tell your girlfriend not to sign for registerred letters addressed to you.)
Message 69 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't need to be honest in a dishonest system or with dishonest people.

The law is ridiculous;

No one could send you a letter accusing you of murder to one of any of your previous valid addresses and then refuse to supply any evidence because you didn't reply in 30 days. It is a rigged system through and through and you should do whatever you can and whatever it takes to get lines off your system and your score up. Period.
Message 70 of 102
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.