Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt collector called...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt collector called...

Just wanted to share that Friday I got a call from a debt collector (Midland, I Googled the number). They left no message, so I called them back.

Wrong number!!!!! They were looking for someone else with my last name!

IT FELT SO GOOD Smiley Happy

$0 bad debt outstanding!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
J91605
Frequent Contributor

Re: Debt collector called...

Whoow that made me nervous! Congrats on the wrong number!

Starting Score: 6/30/15 EQ 554 TU 534 EX 608
Current Score: EQ 630 TU 635 EX 653
Goal Score: 680 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge!
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good job getting rid of them and Congrats on having no outstanding bad debt.

I dont understand how the rules work, but you didnt do anything wrong at all, but if you didnt call them back and challenge them on it, they would have kept calling you for a very long time, or until their robo caller malfunctioned.

It sure would be nice if the CAs had to go through some kind of 'approval test' before they could call your number.  Basically, they are fishing for a phone number for a person they are looking for and you happen to be close to one criteria, so they call you.

When they call and ask for someone that doesnt live here with a 'can I speak to Johnathon please?"  I like to say 'sure ... If you call the right number, and this isnt the right number'. 

I always make it clear with 'and dont call again, that person is not here and will never be here, you have the wrong number'.  Usually it works, but sometimes I still get 2 and 3 more attempts.  One time recently I had a call every day of the week with a different voice asking for the same person that had never lived here.  Finally stopped when I said wrong number 5 times.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

This may not be a popular opinion, but I loathe dealing with skip tracers. They call me all the time looking for my ex husband. I finally told the last one that skip tracing is an act of desperation, and they would be better off filing against him in court. He most likely wouldn't bother to show up, because he thinks if he doesn't show, the case just goes away. Then they could get a summary judgement, but either way , STOP CALLING ME!! I think I might have scared her a little bit lol.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.