Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt consolidation?

tag
sharriel
Frequent Contributor

Debt consolidation?

I have always thought these companies are a rip off but my cousin has been using Freedom and as soon as she has a debt paid off, it is deleted from her report.

I have the following:
Macy's - $484 - DOFD - 5/15

Barclay's - $2036 - DOFD  - 8/16

BOA - $1862 - DOFD - 5/15

These are the only bads on my report.  None of them are willing to PFD.  Do I go with a debt consolidation company for these?

5/16/13 Starting FICOEQ: 521 FICOTU: 536 FICOEX: 571
5/13/14 Current FICOEQ: 668 FICOTU: 690 FICOEX: 673
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Debt consolidation?

There is no guarantee of removal, and many times they make things worse.

You can settle your own accounts for no charge. Which will stop accounts from updating. Allowing scores to recover.

CO accounts are hard to get removed, but once paid, a GW campaign won't hurt. Some of those are close to 7 years.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debt consolidation?

@sharriel wrote:

I have always thought these companies are a rip off but my cousin has been using Freedom and as soon as she has a debt paid off, it is deleted from her report.

I have the following:
Macy's - $484 - DOFD - 5/15

Barclay's - $2036 - DOFD  - 8/16

BOA - $1862 - DOFD - 5/15

These are the only bads on my report.  None of them are willing to PFD.  Do I go with a debt consolidation company for these?

If these accounts are from 2015-2016, I'd definitely mail them PFD letters. Some of these should be close to or outside of SOL, do you know? 

I will not do debt consolidations for accounts that are 4-5 years old or ever actually.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.