Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt settlement charge offs..

tag
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Re: Debt settlement charge offs..

Since you have a installment loan you really don’t need another one.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 11 of 48
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Now you need time and patience. Letting accounts age while making payments on time is the only way your scores will go up in time. I would apply for any cards  till your youngest account is at least a year old. 

Just build payment history, that's what you need the most. 

If you continue applying now, you're looking at subprime lenders and not so good terms. 

Loan is not a bad idea

Message 12 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

So is it just a waiting game at this point to get above that 700 mark? I make much more income now than I did years ago when I had the negative accounts, and haven’t been late on anything in roughly 5 years. Was just wanting to get a decent rate on a car loan possibly in the near future.
Message 13 of 48
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
So is it just a waiting game at this point to get above that 700 mark? I make much more income now than I did years ago when I had the negative accounts, and haven’t been late on anything in roughly 5 years. Was just wanting to get a decent rate on a car loan possibly in the near future.

Yes, a waiting game. You need to show payment history on positive accounts. 

Try prequal websites if you want to see how lenders "see" your profile at this time. 

Message 14 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

The credit builder loan, from my understanding is also a soft pull. It’s not an actual loan, you make payments for a year and then they give you the sum of your payments, so they don’t pull credit, but they report all of your payments to all 3 credit bureaus. That’s why I didn’t know if it would help or not, and you said to not apply for anymore cards? I think I’m exactly one month away from my credit one bank card being a year old.
Message 15 of 48
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
The credit builder loan, from my understanding is also a soft pull. It’s not an actual loan, you make payments for a year and then they give you the sum of your payments, so they don’t pull credit, but they report all of your payments to all 3 credit bureaus. That’s why I didn’t know if it would help or not, and you said to not apply for anymore cards? I think I’m exactly one month away from my credit one bank card being a year old.

It is a loan and I missed that part 

Adding a second loan wont do anything in terms of scoring increase, it may actually decrease your score with changes in AAoA and being fully utilized. Skip adding another loan as long as your car loan is active 

Have you checked any prequal pages yet? 

Message 16 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I occasionally check prequal on cap1, but that’s generally it. Cap1 says I prequal for a savor card, but didn’t wanna risk a denial so I didn’t take it. I know I’m pre approved for an Ollo card but didn’t want an additional hard pull at that time. Not sure what else I could use.
Message 17 of 48
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I occasionally check prequal on cap1, but that’s generally it. Cap1 says I prequal for a savor card, but didn’t wanna risk a denial so I didn’t take it. I know I’m pre approved for an Ollo card but didn’t want an additional hard pull at that time. Not sure what else I could use.

Do a prequal  now and post screenshot here. Humor me, please 

Message 18 of 48
Remedios
Credit Mentor
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to post the screenshot?
Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.